• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotor
    Automated Home Guru
    • Aug 2015

Valencia sticking -- any tips?

Hi folks, less than three years ago I replaced (at enormous effort) every TRV in the house with brand-new Valencia ones. I find myself less than three years later with my living room TRV sticking shut -- two evenings in a row I've had to take off the HR92 and give the pin a good working. It eventually comes right and seems ok, but I'm not that confident that it's not going to happen again tonight.

a) Would you expect a supposedly high quality TRV to start sticking after less than three years?
    b) Is there anything I can do to fix this TRV so it stops doing this?

I'm pretty annoyed and frustrated that I may have to go through all the effort of replacing this, not to mention the possibility of others failing as well!?

Thanks for any suggestions and/or advice!
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

Do you keep your system topped up with a suitable inhibitor? Might be worth checking if it’s not been looked at in a while.

You can get a servicing kit for the valve bodies - not sure how much it costs but from the data sheet I saw it should allow the valve insert to be removed for inspection/cleaning (without draining down?) and even allows the insert to be replaced without removing the valve. However the cost may mean it’s not good value for a DIYer rather than a tradesman who might use it regularly.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• rotor
      Automated Home Guru
      • Aug 2015

Thanks for the suggestions!

I haven't topped up the inhibitor since I completely replaced all the TRVs (less than three years ago), do you think 3 years is long enough to produce enough corrosion that it would be causing a TRV to stick? When I bleed the odd radiator, the water is always a very light colour (i.e. very barely brown).

That TRV Service Tool looks like exactly what I need, but nobody seems to even sell the things, and I get the impression they are very expensive.

Comment

Working...
      X