• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Springgreens
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
    Sorry - I got sidetracked and you did ask this before. Let me ask - might take a day or two. Standby
    Sorry to re-open such an old conversation but I'd be really interested to know the answer!
    That is, whether or not the HCE80 UFH demand percentages are avaialble through the public web API or the raw local radio signals via HGI80?

Comment

• Springgreens
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2019

Having trawled some more on this great site , and through watchForStock's equally wonderful evohomeClient2, I can see that valve demand signals are certainly not in the web API.
      But are they in the radio signals? I saw the TRV demand but haven't been able to get UFH demands?

Comment

• smar
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Springgreens View Post
        But are they in the radio signals? I saw the TRV demand but haven't been able to get UFH demands?
        Yes, I am getting demand signals for each UFH zone (from an HCC80R).

Comment

• Springgreens
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2019

Thanks, that's good to hear.
          Are you by chance the author of evohome-Listener? It's quite something!
          I have that running with a nanoCUL FTDI 868MHz. Can see lots of evohome signals including a variety of ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND messages but these report as the HCC80 ID not as a zone.
          Our system is 1 controller, 1 BDR91 driving the boiler, 2 HCC80 sharing an antenna supplying 9 UFH zones, the first using evhome controller temperatuer and the other 8 each with HCW82. And 3 zones each with a single TRV.
          Yesterday I did a factory reset and bound just 3 UFH zones so that I could figure out how to configure the Listener. Zone 1 uses evohome temperate and the other two use HCW82. All 3 zones are on the same HCC80.
          Here's the corresponding devices.json

2020-01-15 23:29:36 | | | Devices loaded from 'devices.json' file:
          2020-01-15 23:29:36 | | | 01:062953 - evoHomePanel - Zone 1 [Master]
          2020-01-15 23:29:37 | | | 02:023727 - UFH2? - Zone 0
          2020-01-15 23:29:37 | | | 02:025324 - UFH1? - Zone 0
          2020-01-15 23:29:37 | | | 03:125829 - Garden room - Zone 3 [Master]
          2020-01-15 23:29:37 | | | 03:255727 - Living room - Zone 2 [Master]
          2020-01-15 23:29:37 | | | 13:233522 - evoHeatDemand - Zone 0
          2020-01-15 23:29:37 | | | 30:071715 - EvoGateway - Zone 240 [Master]

And the different ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND messages I get back are:
          2020-01-16 00:11:45 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | CONTROLLER -> BROADCAST MESSAGE | 0.0% [Zone 252]
          2020-01-16 00:26:57 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | UFH UFH2? -> CONTROLLER | 92.0%
          2020-01-16 02:08:55 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | UFH UFH2? -> CONTROLLER | 50.0% [Zone 4 ]

It looks close but I' hoped to see Zone1/2/3 heat demand messages. What have I got wrong?
          THanks

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

The heat demand radio messages for the UFH controller is definitely decoded. So this could easily be a bug with the data parser that you are using. What does Domoticz show for your UFH device?

Comment

• smar
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Feb 2018

Thanks, that's good to hear.
              Are you by chance the author of evohome-Listener?

And the different ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND messages I get back are:
              2020-01-16 00:11:45 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | CONTROLLER -> BROADCAST MESSAGE | 0.0% [Zone 252]
              2020-01-16 00:26:57 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | UFH UFH2? -> CONTROLLER | 92.0%
              2020-01-16 02:08:55 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | UFH UFH2? -> CONTROLLER | 50.0% [Zone 4 ]

It looks close but I' hoped to see Zone1/2/3 heat demand messages. What have I got wrong?
              THanks
              Yes, I put together the gateway/listener script to help get the data into my home automation system (openHAB) and to have a fully local system that doesn't rely on the web api. As Bruce says in his post, the data is definitely decoded. However, th python script is set up based on the evohome configuration in my house, and so may well not have captured everything (e.g. although I expect it to work with the two UFH controllers, I haven't tested this as I am using a single HCC80R etc). I also noticed in your log file that your HCW82 thermostats have device type starting with "03:" - this is definitely not identified correctly in the code as I didn't have one in my setup.

But looking at the last line of your log, you're showing a Zone 4, but I don't see this in your devices list. Is this defined somewhere in your devices.json file? Again, could be a bug in the code. I am definitely getting UFH zone names showing up in my log, e.g.:

Code:
              2020-01-17 10:01:46 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND    | I | UFH Controller Relays -> CONTROLLER            |    0.0% @ Kitchen UFH          [Zone 11]
              2020-01-17 10:13:29 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND    | I | UFH Controller Relays -> CONTROLLER            |    0.0% @ Hallway              [Zone 12]
              If you don't get anywhere in trying to debug it, maybe open an issue on the github, and we can try to figure out whats going on over there.

Comment

• Springgreens
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2019

Hi thanks for getting back.
                Definately no zone4 in the devices.json. I'll get on with some debugging and pick it up at github.
                Actually it was seeing zone_heat_demand messages similar to above in the screenshot on your github that got me on to this.
                I'll also try with Domoticz as Bruce suggests.

Comment

• DanD
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Feb 2016

@springgreens

Do you see heat demand information for each of your HCE80 zones on the settings screen on the controller and if so, are they different for each zone? The reason that I ask is that I added the heat demand functionality to Domoticz, but don't have any UFH devices so there may still be further work to do to fully implement this functionality in Domoticz (in case you try out Domoticz). I have seen some message logs from other users with HCE80/HCC80 UFH controllers and I'm pretty certain that the HCE80 combines the heat demand into a single zone (the lowest zone number) whereas the HCC80 sends the demand for each individual zone. It is possible that this behaviour might be due to the way the zones have been configured on the controller though.

Dan

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by smar View Post
                    Yes, I put together the gateway/listener script to help get the data into my home automation system (openHAB) and to have a fully local system that doesn't rely on the web api.
                    Wow, this script is worthy of a thread of its own.... Time to get a cc1101 and ardino....

Apart from the git repo are there any other threads here or on other forums discussing your software ?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

There are a bunch of us trying to get a DIY hardware solution to be reliable. At the moment, none are unfortunately and if you have an OTB then the DIY solutions are pretty bad. In any case you dont need to put anything together, there are RfBees and NanoCUL etc, that are already sold that basically combine the radio chip and an Arduino.
                      Our understanding of the radio protocol has also enhanced a lot in the last few months simply because there has been revised enthusiasm from a few. Oh the biggest news, we can now finally read the fault log from the controller using the radio protocol.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                        There are a bunch of us trying to get a DIY hardware solution to be reliable. At the moment, none are unfortunately and if you have an OTB then the DIY solutions are pretty bad. In any case you dont need to put anything together, there are RfBees and NanoCUL etc, that are already sold that basically combine the radio chip and an Arduino.
                        Our understanding of the radio protocol has also enhanced a lot in the last few months simply because there has been revised enthusiasm from a few. Oh the biggest news, we can now finally read the fault log from the controller using the radio protocol.
                        Not wanting to send/control, just passively monitor for debugging purposes - the log screenshot shown in the git repo is exactly what I'm looking for. You may recall I found software that worked with RTL-USB receivers however that had too many overheads (full CPU driven software defined radio on the host PC) and was difficult to customise beyond the one Linux QT GUI based app written in C++ that could use it, so I couldn't really modify or extend it in any way, as I don't know C++ to save myself.

I've already ordered this so I hope it will be suitable.....

Simpler hardware decoding with something I can plug directly into a PC or Raspberry Pi seems like a better approach, and I know Python if I want to customise the monitoring script whereas I don't know C++...
                        Last edited by DBMandrake; 18 January 2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• smar
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                          Wow, this script is worthy of a thread of its own.... Time to get a cc1101 and ardino....

Apart from the git repo are there any other threads here or on other forums discussing your software ?
                          Not that I am aware of! I haven't really publicised the script, as it was put together for my own needs. I also started off simply wanting to "listen" in to the radio messages, and log them/process them. I added support for "sending" when the Honewell web api went down for a few days last year. The "sending" is not perfect - often the script has to retry a few times before it sees a corresponding reply back from the Controller. However, even if sending initially fails, it does seem to eventually get through after a few retries (normally within a few minutes).

Comment

• smar
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Feb 2018

Hi thanks for getting back.
                            Definately no zone4 in the devices.json. I'll get on with some debugging and pick it up at github.
                            Actually it was seeing zone_heat_demand messages similar to above in the screenshot on your github that got me on to this.
                            I'll also try with Domoticz as Bruce suggests.
                            I just realised that I hadn't spelt out the devices.json file structure in the github README with the correct nuances for the HCC80R UFH controller.

The HCC80R messages seems to send it's own zone number (i.e. as per the lights on the HCC80R) and do not seem to correspond to the controller's zone ID. For example, the first zone on my HCC80R is for the dining room, the second is the kitchen etc. The HCC80R then sends '0' for the dining room zone, '1' for kitchen etc. However, in my main evohome controller, the dining room is zone 8, and the kitchen is zone 11. To help the script show the correct zone, the device json has to include "ufh_zoneId" as a parameter, e.g:

Code:
                            "34:015243": { "name" : "Dining room", "zoneId": 8, "ufh_zoneId":0, "zoneMaster": true },
                            "34:112193": { "name" : "Kitchen UFH", "zoneId": 11, "ufh_zoneId":1, "zoneMaster": true }
                            This may explain why the log is not showing your UFH zones correctly.

Comment

• Springgreens
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Dec 2019

THanks I aded the ufh_zoneId fields but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
                              Here's the devices.json in full
                              {
                              "01:062953": { "name" : "Study", "zoneId" : 1, "ufh_zoneId":2, "zoneMaster" : true },
                              "30:071715": { "name" : "evoGateway", "zoneId" : 240, "zoneMaster" : false },
                              "02:025324": { "name" : "HCE80_1", "zoneId" : -1, "zoneMaster" : false },
                              "02:023727": { "name" : "HCE80_2", "zoneId" : -1, "zoneMaster" : false },
                              "03:255727": { "name" : "Living room", "zoneId" : 2, "ufh_zoneId":0, "zoneMaster" : true },
                              "03:125829": { "name" : "Garden room", "zoneId" : 3, "ufh_zoneID":1, "zoneMaster" : true },
                              "13:233522": { "name" : "evoHeatDemand", "zoneId" : 252, "zoneMaster" : false }
                              }

The 3 UFH zones are connected to HCE80_1
                              Zone 1 uses the evoHome controller temperatures. The other 2 zones use HCW82

Now I get just two types of ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND messages:
                              2020-01-17 21:35:42 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | UFH HCE80_1 -> CONTROLLER | 0.0% @ Living room [Zone 2 ]
                              2020-01-17 21:35:43 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | CONTROLLER -> BROADCAST MESSAGE | 38.0% [Zone 252]
                              There's no corresponding message for zones 1 or 3 after an hour of logging.
                              FYI the "2020-01-16 02:08:55 |1| ZONE_HEAT_DEMAND | I | UFH UFH2? -> CONTROLLER | 50.0% [Zone 4 ]" messages stopped after I factory reset the evoHome controller *and* the 2 HCC80's - last time I'd only done the controller

I also tried with Domoticz latest beta; 4.11609 using the "Evohome for USB (HGI/S80)" hardware. It discovers 3 temperature sensors (1 for each zone working fine) but only one 'switch'; the boiler relay. No UFH zone switches.
                              I can see from evohomeRadio.cpp that it has logic for decoding UFH zone valves but guess there's something unexpected in my evoHome and/or Domoticz config. Next step I'm figuring out how to get debug log out of evohomeRadio.

@Dan D
                              I have 2 HCE80's. I thought they only differed from HCC with the external aerial but interested to see your note that they may also communicate the UFH zone valve information differently - if you're looking for logs with HCE80 then of course I'd be very happy to send some!
                              My evohome controller does not show any UFH valve state indicators. It just shows the various different icons like at looks like https://ensupport.getconnected.honey...ile_2__Body__s

Thanks for all the tips so far. More domoticz next - looks like that's where the evhome decode action is at the moment.

Comment

• DanD
                                Automated Home Ninja
                                • Feb 2016

@springgreens sorry, I wasn't too clear. I was referring to the heat demand information which is shown if you click on System Summary within the Installation Menu (accessed by pressing and holding the settings button for a few seconds). I'd be interested if each of your HCE80s just shows a single heat demand entry or whether there's a separate value for each of the zones they control.

Comment

Working...
                                X