Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: New evohome FW - update WiFi 02.00.17.00 and Application 02.00.17.03

Automated Home Legend

Ok not wanting to look stupid here, but can someone explain what the new hot water "boost" function actually does ?

It's not clear at all from the UI what it does, and it doesn't seem to do what I assumed it would - which is to provide a temporary timed boost in hot water temperature, for example to allow you to run a deeper bath...

But.... a) There is no way to specify what the "boosted" hot water temperature is - either in the normal UI or the stored hot water configuration, and b) the boost option doesn't seem to let you choose how long to boost for - you can't combine the boost option with a timed override as they seem to be mutually exclusive in the UI.

I tried turning the boost on and waited a while - and nothing happened. No attempt to heat the water hotter than normal occurred. (HW relay stayed off)

So I'm at a loss to understand what it actually does and how it is useful ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 21st December 2017 at 05:55 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Ok not wanting to look stupid here, but can someone explain what the new hot water "boost" function actually does ?

It's not clear at all from the UI what it does, and it doesn't seem to do what I assumed it would - which is to provide a temporary timed boost in hot water temperature, for example to allow you to run a deeper bath...

But.... a) There is no way to specify what the "boosted" hot water temperature is - either in the normal UI or the stored hot water configuration, and b) the boost option doesn't seem to let you choose how long to boost for - you can't combine the boost option with a timed override as they seem to be mutually exclusive in the UI.

I tried turning the boost on and waited a while - and nothing happened. No attempt to heat the water hotter than normal occurred. (HW relay stayed off)

I assumed it was just like a normal time clock, maybe to either + 1 hour or advanced it till the next off time. I haven't tried it yet so don't know which it is. I don't think it boosts the actual temperature.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    I assumed it was just like a normal time clock, maybe to either + 1 hour or advanced it till the next off time. I haven't tried it yet so don't know which it is. I don't think it boosts the actual temperature.
    If that's true then I don't see the use of it - how does that differ from the existing timed override facility ? And at least with timed override you can say how long you want it overridden for, this "boost" option does't allow you to adjust the end time. Doesn't make sense.

Automated Home Legend

If that's true then I don't see the use of it - how does that differ from the existing timed override facility ? And at least with timed override you can say how long you want it overridden for, this "boost" option does't allow you to adjust the end time. Doesn't make sense.
    I assume it's just an easier option. Like my parents are used to the +1 button on their old Honeywell clock, when they upgraded to EvoHome they lost that feature. And although it's easy to you and me to set a time to override it to, you have to do it in three steps, Turn it to ON, set the off time and then press the green tick. Where as now you can just press Boost. Which for someone who isn't as used to the system as we are is much easier IMO.

It would be good if they actually did a BOOST function for the heating side of things (Yes you can do custom action but that will only let you set it for a date not a number of hours like Eco mode, and I forget to turn mine off) where you could plus all zones on for X amount of hours at the current set temp. Rather than having to do each one manually.

Automated Home Legend

Again, the way it behaves makes no sense to me. It's currently 5:30pm and my hot water is scheduled to be ON until 10pm.

If I choose boost it makes it appear that hot water will be scheduled on until 11pm. So that's it ? It just adds one hour to next scheduled off time ? If so, colour me unimpressed. It doesn't actually add any new functionality. I was looking forward to being able to boost my hot water temperature by 5 degrees for running baths but no such luck...

Automated Home Sr Member Andy the Minion's Avatar

Its just a timed override Im afraid, to increase the temperature would potentially be a safety issue as in some cases the store is held at a 'non-skin melting' temperature if there are toddlers or other vulnerable occupants. For a normal setpoint of 60°C with a standard cylinder without a blending valve fitted a boost above 60°C would also be a potential issue for normal able bodied users.

Automated Home Legend

Presumably, if the cylinder is within the set range (mine is 60 down to 55C) then any attempt at boost will be ignored?

Automated Home Guru

On most heating Systems I have come across a boost function adds +1,2,or 3 hrs to the heating time to either Heating or HW depending which is Boosted I have not seen a Boost function to increase Temperature

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I assumed it was for when the HW was off, but you wanted to over-ride that for an hour or two.

Certainly on my controller, when the HW is on then the Boost button is greyed out. It only appears when the HW is scheduled off.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the Minion View Post
    Its just a timed override Im afraid
    Are you part of the Evohome dev team Andy? Both of your posts so far have had an air of authority about them!

P.