Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast

Thread: New evohome FW - update WiFi 02.00.17.00 and Application 02.00.17.03

Automated Home Legend

So is electrical underfloor heating zone an option now?

Automated Home Sr Member

Surely the solution would be to change it back to a standard TRV?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    So is electrical underfloor heating zone an option now?
    Apparently so, (I don't have a spare BDR91 to try it out) as long as the load can be driven by a BDR91, which is limited to 5 amps or about 1100W. So in practice you would need to use a BDR91 to in turn switch a bigger relay or a contactor for most electric heating loads.

It apparently also does TPI and from what I can see it works exactly like the "zone valve" zone type except it doesn't call for heat from the boiler. So think zone valve zone, without any call for heat from the boiler.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by fergie View Post
    Surely the solution would be to change it back to a standard TRV?
    No, the reason for doing this is there are certain areas of the house, landing for example, which are very open, and although they need heat, I don't want them creating a demand for heat. so currently they have regular TRV's on them so that when the heating is on, they get warm as normal, but the TRV's are very inexact about what temperature they get to and often stay on longer than I need. Also at certain times when heat demand comes on, I'm not interested in warming the hallway, so it would be nice if the TRV's remained closed at this point. so if it were possible to set timed heat schedules but without the TRV's sending a demand for heat, it would be useful. Rameses previously had said this would be possible with the underfloor heating zone, but I don't understand how...

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Xrissio View Post
    with the new firmware there was possibly going to be the ability o set a zone so that it did not trigger the boiler, so set a temperature for a radiator but not have it actually trigger the boiler, just try and hit that heat when demand comes from another radiator - anyone figured out whether this is possible with the new firmware? I was told maybe by setting the zone as an underfloor heating zone, but doesn't that need a bdr91 to do that? any ideas appreciated before I go out and buy a load of HR92s.
    I'd like to use this too, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Automated Home Legend

My Warmup 4ie panel allows me to trigger the UFH from the wiring box, which means the BDR91 isn't driving the load, simply providing the trigger. The UFH's own control panel driving the load itself. So this should work for me.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Apparently so, (I don't have a spare BDR91 to try it out) as long as the load can be driven by a BDR91, which is limited to 5 amps or about 1100W. So in practice you would need to use a BDR91 to in turn switch a bigger relay or a contactor for most electric heating loads.
    It works perfectly in electric zones. Now have one electric UFH zone (BDR91 controlling the already installed relay) and two electric towel rail zones up and running. All the optimisation features operate in these zones too.

I wonder if the UK market will get a software update to change the Optimum Stop icon after March 2019!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    It works perfectly in electric zones. Now have one electric UFH zone (BDR91 controlling the already installed relay) and two electric towel rail zones up and running. All the optimisation features operate in these zones too.

I wonder if the UK market will get a software update to change the Optimum Stop icon after March 2019!
    Why wait until then ? Since when has the UK used the Euro ?

I've always found it very odd that the UK version of the Evohome uses a Euro symbol...

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

The controller is Windows CE based, isn't it? European builds default to the Euro symbol (Or Euro Dollar symbol as some Microsoft documents refer to it).

Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\nls\ExtraCurrency is the magic needed to change it.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Default for a numeric currency field maybe - but these are not numeric fields. It's just a character symbol being displayed in an arbitrary location in the UI, so any character could be placed there including a pound sign - I'm sure there is one in the character set somewhere!

I think it just betrays the European origins of the Evohome system, but it seems odd that when it is sold in so few markets that it isn't correctly localised to each market. They managed to localise the language to English for the UK market, a pound symbol surely isn't too hard. Or perhaps they were banking on the UK eventually relenting and adopting the Euro ?