• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mylesm
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
    Ireland? Perhaps they can just hard code "Raining".... ;-)

Maybe just show raindrops are falling on my head

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Qn: will this firmware upgrade have re-set Optimisation? I ask because at 17:59, I had one zone within 0.5C of its target temperature with 100% Opentherm demand. At 18:00, the target temperature reduced to 15C and Opentherm demand dropped.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
        Qn: will this firmware upgrade have re-set Optimisation? I ask because at 17:59, I had one zone within 0.5C of its target temperature with 100% Opentherm demand. At 18:00, the target temperature reduced to 15C and Opentherm demand dropped.
        I would suspect so as I've seen overshoots on two of my systems tonight which are usually pretty good (Although perhaps it's just a coincidence.)

Comment

• dty
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Aug 2016

I came home to find an upgraded unit!

Two annoyances right now:

* it had lost the WiFi connection info and had to be reconnected to the network
          * it’s completely renamed my zones. This is really annoying especially as on some zones it’s used names that previously existed, so they’re now on the wrong zone

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Don’t know what it's like where you folks live, but it's a lot warmer here than it has been recently. Around 10ish rather than zeroish that it's been of late. That could also be a reason.

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dty View Post
              * it had lost the WiFi connection info and had to be reconnected to the network
              * it’s completely renamed my zones. This is really annoying especially as on some zones it’s used names that previously existed, so they’re now on the wrong zone
              Neither of those seen here. Anyone else?

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2017

Neither of those seen here. Anyone else?
                No i've come home to an updated unit that's working fine with no other changes (other than the updates)

Yes warmer weather could be an affect, however surely as it's only raising the room temperature from x to x the outdoor temperature shouldn't really affect it that much and the unit should compensate if it's learnt.

Comment

• Skeandubh
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                  It would, imho, be better if this information was on the main screen and not hidden away in the installer settings.
                  Have to agree with this. There’s plenty of space to display this on the main screen.

Comment

• IM35461
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jan 2012

I took my one out of the cradle and it is warm at the bottom charging the what I think used to be called a nicd battery.

My infrared thermometer tells me it is 3.2f warmer than the shelf it stands on. Thus this room is a little cold at 67.1f

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                      No i've come home to an updated unit that's working fine with no other changes (other than the updates)

Yes warmer weather could be an affect, however surely as it's only raising the room temperature from x to x the outdoor temperature shouldn't really affect it that much and the unit should compensate if it's learnt.
                      In our parts the outdoor temperature has gone from consistently below zero to about 10-12 degrees in the space of one or two days.

That can most definitely cause overshoot, especially if you'd bumped you flow temperature up a bit higher to deal with the sub zero temperatures as we did...

As for whether it will learn - yes it will, but it won't adapt to a change of that magnitude in just one or two days. It will take possibly up to a week to fully adapt to a large change in outdoor temperature and thus a large reduction in heat loss from rooms.

The thermal response time of your rooms will be very different with an outdoor temperature of 10 vs below zero, and the Evohome has no knowledge that the the outdoor temperature has suddenly changed by so much (the new outside temperature display is supposedly informational only and the reading is not considered by the control algorithms...) other than empirically discovering that when rooms start to overshoot.

Personally I think having the system consider the outdoor temperature as part of its calculations would minimise the amount of relearning required and how long it takes (by incorporating a type of weather compensation into the algorithm) but I've already beaten that horse to death in other threads and I don't think we'll see anything like that...
                      Last edited by DBMandrake; 20 December 2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Skeandubh View Post
                        Have to agree with this. There’s plenty of space to display this on the main screen.
                        We have to remember that most users probably aren't like us. If stuff like this IS to appear on the main screen it should be via an optional 'nerd' mode. For the average user the interface needs to be kept clean and simple.

P.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by IM35461 View Post
                          I took my one out of the cradle and it is warm at the bottom charging the what I think used to be called a nicd battery.

My infrared thermometer tells me it is 3.2f warmer than the shelf it stands on. Thus this room is a little cold at 67.1f
                          Not sure how this relates to the firmware update ? The batteries in the unit are standard AA NiMH (nobody uses Nicad anymore for these kind of applications) and the unit has always generated a little bit of heat especially when charging which artificially inflates the measured temperature - nothing new in new firmware.

On mine which is wall mounted, I have the built in sensor calibration set to -1.0 to account for this and calibrate it against a stand alone thermometer placed nearby.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

We have to remember that most users probably aren't like us. If stuff like this IS to appear on the main screen it should be via an optional 'nerd' mode. For the average user the interface needs to be kept clean and simple.

P.
                            By that line of reasoning no new features that change the user interface will ever be possible...

Just make it a simple icon of a flame with 2-3 possible variations depending on heat demand, as has been discussed already many times. Fairly intuitive I think ? Save the exact percentage value for the installer menu where it is now for nerds and those troubleshooting. Seems a reasonable compromise to me.

Oh, and Honeywell do have the email address of every TCC user as the login is an email address. So a couple of weeks before a firmware goes out alert customers that a firmware update is due. After the update is completed email the customer to let them know and provide a link to a page that documents what the user visible improvements are and/or links to an updated version of the user guide that includes the new features.

It's not rocket science.
                            Last edited by DBMandrake; 20 December 2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• IM35461
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                              Not sure how this relates to the firmware update ? The batteries in the unit are standard AA NiMH (nobody uses Nicad anymore for these kind of applications) and the unit has always generated a little bit of heat especially when charging which artificially inflates the measured temperature - nothing new in new firmware.

On mine which is wall mounted, I have the built in sensor calibration set to -1.0 to account for this and calibrate it against a stand alone thermometer placed nearby.
                              I was just trying to hint that perhaps it was time they used a more advanced rechargeable battery technology that did not have to be cooked for X hours to charge.

Perhaps in the next generation Evohome...

Comment

• paulockenden
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                                By that line of reasoning no new features that change the user interface will ever be possible...
                                Not so. Just keep it simple. Imagine if your gran started obsessing over heat demand per zone and boiler firing, like we lot do here!

Already people find the icons confusing, as evidenced by some of the questions posted here. I don't think things should be complicated further for 'normal' users.

But, as I've posted countless times, I do think there should be an optional 'expert' mode which exposes stuff like this.

Right now though, I'm happy with the heat demands being in the installer settings.

Has anyone else noticed that the screen updates in real-time?

Comment

Working...
                                X