Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: New evohome FW - update WiFi 02.00.17.00 and Application 02.00.17.03

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skeandubh View Post
    Have to agree with this. There’s plenty of space to display this on the main screen.
    We have to remember that most users probably aren't like us. If stuff like this IS to appear on the main screen it should be via an optional 'nerd' mode. For the average user the interface needs to be kept clean and simple.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by IM35461 View Post
    I took my one out of the cradle and it is warm at the bottom charging the what I think used to be called a nicd battery.

My infrared thermometer tells me it is 3.2f warmer than the shelf it stands on. Thus this room is a little cold at 67.1f
    Not sure how this relates to the firmware update ? The batteries in the unit are standard AA NiMH (nobody uses Nicad anymore for these kind of applications) and the unit has always generated a little bit of heat especially when charging which artificially inflates the measured temperature - nothing new in new firmware.

On mine which is wall mounted, I have the built in sensor calibration set to -1.0 to account for this and calibrate it against a stand alone thermometer placed nearby.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    We have to remember that most users probably aren't like us. If stuff like this IS to appear on the main screen it should be via an optional 'nerd' mode. For the average user the interface needs to be kept clean and simple.

P.
    By that line of reasoning no new features that change the user interface will ever be possible...

Just make it a simple icon of a flame with 2-3 possible variations depending on heat demand, as has been discussed already many times. Fairly intuitive I think ? Save the exact percentage value for the installer menu where it is now for nerds and those troubleshooting. Seems a reasonable compromise to me.

Oh, and Honeywell do have the email address of every TCC user as the login is an email address. So a couple of weeks before a firmware goes out alert customers that a firmware update is due. After the update is completed email the customer to let them know and provide a link to a page that documents what the user visible improvements are and/or links to an updated version of the user guide that includes the new features.

It's not rocket science.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 20th December 2017 at 09:30 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Not sure how this relates to the firmware update ? The batteries in the unit are standard AA NiMH (nobody uses Nicad anymore for these kind of applications) and the unit has always generated a little bit of heat especially when charging which artificially inflates the measured temperature - nothing new in new firmware.

On mine which is wall mounted, I have the built in sensor calibration set to -1.0 to account for this and calibrate it against a stand alone thermometer placed nearby.
    I was just trying to hint that perhaps it was time they used a more advanced rechargeable battery technology that did not have to be cooked for X hours to charge.

Perhaps in the next generation Evohome...

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    By that line of reasoning no new features that change the user interface will ever be possible...
    Not so. Just keep it simple. Imagine if your gran started obsessing over heat demand per zone and boiler firing, like we lot do here!

Already people find the icons confusing, as evidenced by some of the questions posted here. I don't think things should be complicated further for 'normal' users.

But, as I've posted countless times, I do think there should be an optional 'expert' mode which exposes stuff like this.

Right now though, I'm happy with the heat demands being in the installer settings.

Has anyone else noticed that the screen updates in real-time?

Automated Home Legend

So what do the percentages actually mean? I have seen 6% on one of my 12 zones and 100% on Opentherm?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    So what do the percentages actually mean? I have seen 6% on one of my 12 zones and 100% on Opentherm?
    Try comparing them with the Valve position (option 10) on the HR92 and see if they are a 1 to 1 match ?

The "heat demand" that the HR92 sends to the controller we've previously confirmed is exactly the same as the valve position reported in option 10 on the HR92, however it's possible that it won't be displayed like this because a 20% valve position (and thus heat demand) may not be sufficient to actually open the valve enough for water to flow, so it would be misleading for it to say that the zone was demanding 20% heat when the valve wasn't even flowing.

Calibration of the HR92's typically seems to result in a valve pin movement of about 30-40% being required before water starts to flow, and the controller probably knows this and "fudges" the heat demand sent to the BDR91 to account for this.

The way to tell this would be to turn all but one zone down to 5 degrees, and set one zone to 0.5 degrees below the current temperature to see if the heat demand of that one zone equals the heat demand sent to the BDR91 or not.

Something I will certainly try when I get home... it will be interesting to try to figure out how the individual zone heat demands translate to an overall heat demand for the boiler. I suspect there is a bit more than just max() of all zones involved at the bottom end...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 20th December 2017 at 09:54 PM.

I have S Plan currently wired the old fashioned way with no boiler relay.

My system summary shows the controller output demand for the hot water, but not for the heating. So I only see inputs, not the output from the controller.

I notice someone said that OT values are shown, so I expect a boiler relay probably is too. Shame the CH percentage isn’t shown though - feedback I passed back to Ramses earlier in the beta cycle.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I have S Plan currently wired the old fashioned way with no boiler relay.

My system summary shows the controller output demand for the hot water, but not for the heating. So I only see inputs, not the output from the controller.

I notice someone said that OT values are shown, so I expect a boiler relay probably is too. Shame the CH percentage isnít shown though - feedback I passed back to Ramses earlier in the beta cycle.
    Odd - sounds like a bug. Don't you have a spare BDR91 ? Bind it as a dummy boiler control relay....

I have a 3x BDR91 system so hopefully I'll be able to see the boiler demand.

Automated Home Sr Member

My system summary list heat demand list seems to be in error.
    Both the bedrooms are set to warm up from 21:30 and been up and checked and they are both now getting hot but according to the list (which alas does not seem to auto update) says 0% for one bedroom.

2017-12-20 21.40.30.jpg

Boiler on all the time which I guess represents the 100% value for always on