Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EvoHome Zones

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by BazzaD View Post
    The link you sent does provide half the answer I was looking for, but I do not think it covers the question with regards to the independence or otherwise of the actuators in the same zone (room) that are not the "Master"

Does the master provide control over all the other actuators in that zone, or do the other actuators still turn off and on the rad based on their own reading of the temperature. If they do operate independently in terms of measuring temp and controlling their own radiator, what is the purpose of the Multizone option in parameters. Thanks again for helping me get to the bottom of this one.
    Single Zone - Temperature measured at the master and then controls other actuators. As if you had an additional sensor such as a T87RF measuring the temperature in the room instead of a HR92 due to the HR92s being inaccessible (E.g. being behind radiator covers and can't read the temp) it would then control all the HR92s the same.

Multi Zone - for when you have possibly multiple rooms in one zone (Due to the 12 zone limit). So for instance Hallway and landing. The temperature is then measured at each HR92 and the valve controlled accordingly to the demand at that valve. The temperature on the EvoHome panel is that of the first HR92 bound.

I use multizone even when I have multiple radiators in one room, as I want the HR92s to measure and adjust accordingly to that location. For instance, I have kitchen/dinning in one. At the kitchen end it can get quite warm with cooking, at the dinning end it can be cooler. By using Multi zone it ensures that the room is maintained at 21oc at both ends.

Anyway that is my understanding of the settings, from what I have read and my experience.

Automated Home Jr Member

Default We will get to the bottom of this

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I've just tried to re-observe the behaviour when rads in a zone are open different amounts, and canít.

I've definitely seen it in the past, but perhaps that was due to lost packets.

So Iím now not so confident, apologies.

P.
    Nothing to apologise for, this is clearly an area that is not covered well in any of the written or online material I have reviewed, but it could make a big difference to your setup. I am certain we will get to the bottom of this. I have an outstanding question on this issue with Honeywell, who are yet to answer the specific question, but eventually they will have to, I hope.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I've just tried to re-observe the behaviour when rads in a zone are open different amounts, and canít.

I've definitely seen it in the past, but perhaps that was due to lost packets.

So Iím now not so confident, apologies.

P.
    It would appear based on a comment on another post from a bruce_miranda that the actuators do sense and control the radiators independently, but as you said, the master is the only one that provides the room temp to the control box. Thanks again.

Automated Home Legend

There is a difference between using multi HR92 in a small zone versus multi HR92 in a multi room zone. which is it here?

Automated Home Jr Member

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Are you guys saying that when set as a ‘single zone’ the multiple HR92’s all open the same amount as the master, first bound HR92?

This seems a bit counter intuitive in my living room where I have radiators that give different outputs of heat. I always expected them to open their valves to differing levels accordingly.
    Even an old school dumb system with wax TRV’s would technically do this.

In my situation, with different outputs at different ends of the room, would you recommend I change the zone to a ‘multi room zone’?

Automated Home Jr Member

Think I’ve answered my own question but thoughts welcome.

I just noticed one of two radiators in a room was receiving hot water and not the other, or at least one of them was receiving significantly more hot water.
    There was no heat demand on the controller for this zone but there was elsewhere.
    Eventually there was a heat demand in this zone and both radiators started getting warm. I checked the valve position on both radiators and it was the same on each.

I set the zone to a very low temperature and both HR92’s shut down to 0. Both radiators then received no hot water so there was no problem with the valves or seating of the HR92.

So my conclusion is that the master HR92 has a very different valve throw than the other slave. I’m certain this is likely true as I recently replaced the master radiator and valve so it’s no longer the same as the slave one.

To overcome the difference in valve throws and radiator output I’ll change this room to a multi zone.

Automated Home Guru

They operate in tandem. I have two radiators in the master bedroom, and you can hear them, always together. If they were operating independently you would hear one or the other, but they *always* go together.

Automated Home Sr Member

They have to operate in tandam For a single zone as the HR92 acting as sensor could be replaced with a room thermostat . In that case the system would have to synchronize the 2 HR92s .
    Btw in my rooms with multiple radiators with HR92s I have fitted room Y87RF thermostats. The level of control and comfort is much better than relying on one of the HR92s as sensor.