Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EvoHome Zones

Automated Home Jr Member

Default EvoHome Zones

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with an EvoHome issue. I have a large room with 2 radiators, which I have joined as a single zone, but can't find out any information on how this works. Honeywell says only the master actuator (HR92) in a zone communicates with the main controller.

How do I know which one is the master?
    How do I change which actuator is the master?
    If the master at one end of the room reaches desired temperature, but at the other end of the room the actuator (not the master) is below the desired temperature, what happens?
    Same question but what happens if the actuator which is not the master reaches the desired temperature and the master does not?

I have asked the Honeywell help line but they so far have replied with what looks like standard text that does not answer my questions and the manuals talk about single radiator setup or multiple setup, but I can't find any information on how it works before I can decide on what changes to make. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    Best BazzaD

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

A zone can only have one temperature sensor (determining heat demand). That'll be the first HR92 you bound.

HOWEVER.... there's two aspects to heat control - the demand from the boiler and the opening of the TRV. In the latter instance the locally measured temperature IS used, I believe. I have a three radiator zone, and I often see them all open different amounts. But the opening of the first one is what determines the boiler demand. So bind your coldest one first.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    A zone can only have one temperature sensor (determining heat demand). That'll be the first HR92 you bound.

HOWEVER.... there's two aspects to heat control - the demand from the boiler and the opening of the TRV. In the latter instance the locally measured temperature IS used, I believe. I have a three radiator zone, and I often see them all open different amounts. But the opening of the first one is what determines the boiler demand. So bind your coldest one first.
    That is great thanks.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by BazzaD View Post
    Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with an EvoHome issue. I have a large room with 2 radiators, which I have joined as a single zone, but can't find out any information on how this works. Honeywell says only the master actuator (HR92) in a zone communicates with the main controller.

How do I know which one is the master?
    How do I change which actuator is the master?
    If the master at one end of the room reaches desired temperature, but at the other end of the room the actuator (not the master) is below the desired temperature, what happens?
    Same question but what happens if the actuator which is not the master reaches the desired temperature and the master does not?

I have asked the Honeywell help line but they so far have replied with what looks like standard text that does not answer my questions and the manuals talk about single radiator setup or multiple setup, but I can't find any information on how it works before I can decide on what changes to make. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    Best BazzaD
    As far as i'm aware, along with my experience in my set up if you have two HR92s in one zone, the first one that is bound is the temperature sensor.

If you have it set up as a 'single zone' under the zone settings it will use that first HR92 to measure the temperature and open all the HR92s in that zone at the same time. If you select 'Multi Zone' it is then measure locally at each HR92 and opened/closed accordingly (however the temp on the main display will be the first HR92 still).

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for the response, but just to make sure I have got this clear. If two radiators are set as one zone, then the master will control the operation of both radiators. So if the master reaches to desired temp, then both radiators in that zone will shut down?

The earlier response I received suggested that the temp management of two radiators in one zone operates independently, but only the master can activate the boiler.

In a multi-room it's clear - any HR92 can call for heat. But in a single room zone I THINK the heat demand some from the primary HR92 but the amount that each TRV opens is determined locally. At least, that's the only way I can explain three radiators in a zone all open different amounts.

DBMandrake will probably be along in a moment to tell me I'm wrong! ;-)

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    In a multi-room it's clear - any HR92 can call for heat. But in a single room zone I THINK the heat demand some from the primary HR92 but the amount that each TRV opens is determined locally. At least, that's the only way I can explain three radiators in a zone all open different amounts.

DBMandrake will probably be along in a moment to tell me I'm wrong! ;-)

P.
    Well Paul, you can see why I have struggled with this one, as even my installer was not sure. Great system though, loving the control in the house. Just into the tweaking stage. Appreciate you taking the time to respond and follow up.

Automated Home Ninja

I thought this was discussed a few month ago, been trying to find it - http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...single%2Fmulti

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    I thought this was discussed a few month ago, been trying to find it - http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...single%2Fmulti
    The link you sent does provide half the answer I was looking for, but I do not think it covers the question with regards to the independence or otherwise of the actuators in the same zone (room) that are not the "Master"

Does the master provide control over all the other actuators in that zone, or do the other actuators still turn off and on the rad based on their own reading of the temperature. If they do operate independently in terms of measuring temp and controlling their own radiator, what is the purpose of the Multizone option in parameters. Thanks again for helping me get to the bottom of this one.

I've just tried to re-observe the behaviour when rads in a zone are open different amounts, and can’t.

I've definitely seen it in the past, but perhaps that was due to lost packets.

So I’m now not so confident, apologies.

P.