Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Vaillant flow temperature control for HW

Automated Home Sr Member

Hooked up the VR66 today - I think it's working!

Just want to confirm though - how do you know the HW demand has been activated? I see the tap symbol flashing on the front display and d.22 Hot water demand = 1. And the boiler is in S.24.

I thought d.5/d.9 would show 80 degrees, but they do not. They continue to show the lower flow temps dictated by the weather comp.

Automated Home Legend

D.22 = 1, means that HW mode has been activated. Plus you have the flashing tap, which means it's working.
    D.5 is just what the CH knob has been set to. I call that the Flow Clamp temperature
    And D.9 is what Flow Temperature has been requested. But both D.5 and D.9 are ignored in HW mode and you will see the boiler ramping up the Flow Temperature past the Clamp Temperature D.5 all the way to what has been set in D.78.

Automated Home Sr Member

Nice one - thanks for confirming.

So just to confirm for anyone else looking to do this, all that is needed to activate HW mode on the VR65/VR66 is provide a 230V live to the right hand CYL terminal.

Automated Home Legend

One day I will dream up a use for the zone valve and the NTC sensor outputs in the VR65....I mean they are just sitting there doing nothing at the moment.
    Maybe I should hook up the VR10 to the NTC terminals and use it to monitor my ABV return temperature

Automated Home Sr Member

The VR66 is considerably bigger than I was expecting. And just like you said above, I was thinking "what a waste" - none of the functionality is being used except the HW ebus command being sent via a switch (!)