Thread: Problem resetting HR92 and the system

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Problem resetting HR92 and the system

Hi All,

I have been using Honeywell Evohome system for the last two years. It has been working like a charm including the Hot water kit until this year, where I decided to reset the system to factory default settings. I was able to bind and setup everything but I found it tricky to perform the following:

1. When resetting the HR92's (Menu #12 option 1) in some case I noticed that the zone still remains on the HR92. Shouldn't that disappear until i bind it again with the controller?
    2. when I was able to bind everything in the past (through guided configuration) - 4 heating zones (1 HR92 each) and the Hot water, whenever I was starting the hot water wireless relay (via the controller) the Heating wireless relay was also switched on (both of them instantly) and when I was switching it on the Heating BRD91 was going off but the HW was still on.

Note: the two BDR91 are at least 7 meters away from each other.

Can anyone provide some feedback on what the issue might be in those cases

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

That reset doesn't clear the binding data. That's done elsewhere.

Don't understand the question. But the heating relay should come on with the hot water relay.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Legend

1) As Dan says, reset doesn't clear the binding. It only resets the settings in the settings menus (like window mode, stroke etc) back to defaults. To clear the binding follow the procedure to bind but at the last step where you normally press the button quickly to start binding mode instead hold it down for about 10 seconds and it will say "cleared". This is in the instruction manual that comes with the HR92 and in the online version as well.

2) Sounds like you've got the binding process wrong. How many BDR91's do you have ? If you only have two and have an S-Plan system with both a heating and hot water zone valves (and the boiler firing from the orange wires on the zone valves) then you have have heating and hot water relays but NOT a boiler control relay. I'll bet anything you tried to bind a boiler control relay as well, hence the problem.

Clear the bindings on the two BDR91's, set boiler control to none, and stored hot water to none. Start again enabling hot water and bind your hot water sensor, and when prompted heating relay and hot water relays, and do not bind a boiler control relay.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thank you both for the feedback. I will give it a try again and see if it works.

Automated Home Legend

Richard at The EvohomeShop produced some excellent videos when many of us upgraded to the the WiFi controller about 18 months ago:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...-gt-28-3/page8

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi, i have tried setting both boiler control and stored hot water to none (under system devices). Then used guided configuration to enable hot water sensor and binded the hot water BDR91. I was then tranfered to set up heating. I have binded successfully my 4 zones HR92, but i did not see a step (or maybe I missed it) where i could bind the BDR91 for the heating. I have one boiler with two valves, one connected to the HW BDR and the other to the heating BDR11. Can anyone let me know where i should get the message to bind the HEATING BDR91?

Forgot to mention that before i start the whole process i reset all hr92 and both BDR91 (red led blinking)
    Last edited by yiangosliv; 15th December 2017 at 08:16 AM.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

You need to get rid of the heating valve.

Heat demand is the first question in the guided configuration.

Did you reeeeeaallly erase the BDR's? (15 seconds of holding the button).
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Legend

There are two different flashes - a slow flash means the BDR91 is waiting to bind, a fast flash (after holding for over 15 seconds) means that all bindings are cleared. Make sure you went from the slow flash to the fast flash before you let go of the button.

Then you have to press and hold it again for 5 seconds to get the slow flash to do the new binding.

In a stored hot water configuration the heating relay binding is done just after the hot water relay binding. I prefer not to use the wizard - just go into stored hot water and set it to enabled and follow the instructions. It will ask for the hot water sensor, hot water zone valve actuator and then heating zone valve actuator.

Automated Home Jr Member

I still did not understand what the problem is. Last year the system was working like a charm until i reset it. When hot water is needed valve 1 is switched by BDR91 (A) when heating is needed Valve 2 is switched by BDR91 (B). I also unit tested the BDR connectivity by pressing the button for testing on the BDR and saw that the valves was opened in each case.

Why do I have to get rid of one Valve?