• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lorcanjc
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
    And I would move away from possible EMF interference.
    What do you mean by that?

Comment

• Rameses
      Industry Expert
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by lorcanjc View Post
      What do you mean by that?
      Move the BDR91 30 cm's away from high voltage buzzy things. The BDR91's whilst robust are, at the end of the day, still devices that depends on receiving information over wireless means. Whilst improbable, anything you can do to reduce the possibility of interference is a good thing.
      getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Skeandubh
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2017

Electro magnetic field. Basically if two electrical components are placed close enough to each other there can be electrical/magnetic interaction issues which can cause functionality problems. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem these days as all electrical equipment requires to be designed and tested to meet relevant British/European/International standards. However the real world can be somewhat different

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

It's not so much the high buzzy voltage - after all, a BDR91 is connected to the mains. But plonking it next to a wire carrying a large alternating current (such as that supplying an immersion) is subjecting it to an EM field which might affect the electronics, which we know are quite sensitive to such things.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
            At risk of upsetting people again.... Electricians, in general, are hopeless with Heating controls. Best to get a heating engineer who is also familiar with Evohome.
            I don't think anyone here would be offended by that... in fact we've discussed this problem before.

Electricians as you say often don't know much about heating systems at least not professionally. If they don't understand how they are supposed to function (and some larger systems are pretty darn complex) how are they going to know how to wire them up ? It's not enough for something to be electrically safe and follow wiring guidelines, you have to understand its function and what it's trying to do...

On the other hand there's plenty of examples of plumbers, some calling themselves heating engineers who know bugger all about the electrical/control side and might be able to install and plumb a boiler and radiators just fine and yet wouldn't have a clue how to install Evohome even with all the online materials available - and Evohome in a typical small combi/S-Plan system is actually pretty simple to install IMHO. They'd rather stick with "wire by numbers" wiring centres with ye olde simple wall stat and timer and be on their way. I've had first hand experience with such people.

Really, anyone who calls themselves a "heating engineer" needs to be dual skilled and qualified in both plumbing/heating and electrical/control systems work, and if you're not, you don't deserve the designation. It seems many are not though going by posts on this forum, and it seems to be a sore point in the industry...
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 14 December 2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Skeandubh
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
              Really, anyone who calls themselves a "heating engineer" needs to be dual skilled and qualified in both plumbing/heating and electrical/control systems work, and if you're not, you don't deserve the designation. It seems many are not though going by posts on this forum, and it seems to be a sore point in the industry...
              I think this is a fair comment, however there is one other important point which I would add. “Significant years experience” on a variety of the present and past/obsolete systems is also required.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Skeandubh View Post
                I think this is a fair comment, however there is one other important point which I would add. “Significant years experience” on a variety of the present and past/obsolete systems is also required.
                I included experience under "skilled" when I said dual skilled and qualified. Qualifications only make you qualified, only experience makes you skilled!

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

Experience is always a difficult excluder with things like that. If you make that a requirement you effectively kill off the industry because you preclude anyone new ever joining.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                    Experience is always a difficult excluder with things like that. If you make that a requirement you effectively kill off the industry because you preclude anyone new ever joining.
                    If only recruitment agencies understood this concept...

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      If only recruitment agencies understood this concept...
                      I'd just like them to understand the phrase "Strictly no agencies" on my job ads!

Comment

• Skeandubh
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                        That's what apprenticeships are for.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

That's what apprenticeships are for.
                          Unfortunately what people often think of as apprenticeships are nothing like what they've become these days.

Modern apprenticeships are more about cheap 'basic grunt' labour than teaching skills. or rather, that's the case with most companies.

The old days of an apprentice shadowing a skilled person for a couple of years and gradually building up their skill-set are sadly long gone.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

I unfortunately had the pleasure of having a plumber and an electrician in that didn't understand the way Evohome worked. But to be fair they did a fine job with the installation of the new boiler and unvented cylinder. Now imagine this scene in my house, where I, the client, was setting it up - including the wiring - and both these guys were taking notes and pictures. At the end of the installation, I asked them to certify the job!

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Jun 2012

This is why I don't call myself a plumber. I'm not that good at it (bathrooms etc). I can do it, but I'm slow. Boilers and heating controls on the other hand.....

It is a damming indictment of our industry training that someone can install a boiler and not know how to wire it up. Referring back to apprenticeships, there are plenty about, but there is not real help from the powers that be to make up the difference in the cost of the training incurred by the SME, and the extra "help" the apprentice offers.

For us, an apprentice, if being taught, will add time onto each job in hand. The customer won't to pay for it. The person mentoring the apprentice equally won't want to be paying for it.

Actually I've just skim read the funding page on the government website. It's a bit of a joke really. Much like university fees. Bloody stupid idea that too.
                              Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

Working...
                              X