Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bind Unconnected HR92

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

At risk of upsetting people again.... Electricians, in general, are hopeless with Heating controls. Best to get a heating engineer who is also familiar with Evohome.

An overload bdr can and will go up in smoke.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    At risk of upsetting people again.... Electricians, in general, are hopeless with Heating controls. Best to get a heating engineer who is also familiar with Evohome.

Thanks for all the advise. I have set the water to constant off to be safe.

Not 100% sure what I should do next

Automated Home Legend

Absolutely sound advise Dan. Get that electrician back in to fix this. It could well be that it's connected fine but now works differently. I cannot believe any qualified electrician would put a 3A switch on an immersion. I drive my immersion for solar using a 40A rated solid state relay.

Automated Home Jr Member

Probably setting myself up here...

This is slightly off topic, but something that has annoyed me for as long as I can remember. An electrician is called an electrician, but someone who knows something about plumbing, and something about heating systems is called a heating engineer. More than likely most of these engineers are actually better described as technicians. Not saying these people aren’t excellent at there jobs. Just not engineers. This is mean to be a general comment regarding the use of the words technician and engineer.

What’s so complex with heating controls? I find that the the biggest problem is the lack of detailed information available from the manufacturers, and this is one of the main reasons forums, such as this, exist.
    Last edited by Skeandubh; 14th December 2017 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lorcanjc View Post
    It was an electrican who fitted it for me

The switch and fuse and both for the immersion. I think the electrican just replaced the old time clock in the circuit with the BDR91
    And I would move away from possible EMF interference.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    And I would move away from possible EMF interference.
    What do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by lorcanjc View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    Move the BDR91 30 cm's away from high voltage buzzy things. The BDR91's whilst robust are, at the end of the day, still devices that depends on receiving information over wireless means. Whilst improbable, anything you can do to reduce the possibility of interference is a good thing.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Jr Member

Electro magnetic field. Basically if two electrical components are placed close enough to each other there can be electrical/magnetic interaction issues which can cause functionality problems. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem these days as all electrical equipment requires to be designed and tested to meet relevant British/European/International standards. However the real world can be somewhat different

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

It's not so much the high buzzy voltage - after all, a BDR91 is connected to the mains. But plonking it next to a wire carrying a large alternating current (such as that supplying an immersion) is subjecting it to an EM field which might affect the electronics, which we know are quite sensitive to such things.

Automated Home Legend

I don't think anyone here would be offended by that... in fact we've discussed this problem before.

Electricians as you say often don't know much about heating systems at least not professionally. If they don't understand how they are supposed to function (and some larger systems are pretty darn complex) how are they going to know how to wire them up ? It's not enough for something to be electrically safe and follow wiring guidelines, you have to understand its function and what it's trying to do...

On the other hand there's plenty of examples of plumbers, some calling themselves heating engineers who know bugger all about the electrical/control side and might be able to install and plumb a boiler and radiators just fine and yet wouldn't have a clue how to install Evohome even with all the online materials available - and Evohome in a typical small combi/S-Plan system is actually pretty simple to install IMHO. They'd rather stick with "wire by numbers" wiring centres with ye olde simple wall stat and timer and be on their way. I've had first hand experience with such people.

Really, anyone who calls themselves a "heating engineer" needs to be dual skilled and qualified in both plumbing/heating and electrical/control systems work, and if you're not, you don't deserve the designation. It seems many are not though going by posts on this forum, and it seems to be a sore point in the industry...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 14th December 2017 at 12:03 PM.