Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bind Unconnected HR92

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Really, anyone who calls themselves a "heating engineer" needs to be dual skilled and qualified in both plumbing/heating and electrical/control systems work, and if you're not, you don't deserve the designation. It seems many are not though going by posts on this forum, and it seems to be a sore point in the industry...
    I think this is a fair comment, however there is one other important point which I would add. “Significant years experience” on a variety of the present and past/obsolete systems is also required.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Skeandubh View Post
    I think this is a fair comment, however there is one other important point which I would add. “Significant years experience” on a variety of the present and past/obsolete systems is also required.
    I included experience under "skilled" when I said dual skilled and qualified. Qualifications only make you qualified, only experience makes you skilled!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Experience is always a difficult excluder with things like that. If you make that a requirement you effectively kill off the industry because you preclude anyone new ever joining.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Experience is always a difficult excluder with things like that. If you make that a requirement you effectively kill off the industry because you preclude anyone new ever joining.
    If only recruitment agencies understood this concept...

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    If only recruitment agencies understood this concept...
    I'd just like them to understand the phrase "Strictly no agencies" on my job ads!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    That's what apprenticeships are for.

That's what apprenticeships are for.
    Unfortunately what people often think of as apprenticeships are nothing like what they've become these days.

Modern apprenticeships are more about cheap 'basic grunt' labour than teaching skills. or rather, that's the case with most companies.

The old days of an apprentice shadowing a skilled person for a couple of years and gradually building up their skill-set are sadly long gone.

Automated Home Legend

I unfortunately had the pleasure of having a plumber and an electrician in that didn't understand the way Evohome worked. But to be fair they did a fine job with the installation of the new boiler and unvented cylinder. Now imagine this scene in my house, where I, the client, was setting it up - including the wiring - and both these guys were taking notes and pictures. At the end of the installation, I asked them to certify the job!

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

This is why I don't call myself a plumber. I'm not that good at it (bathrooms etc). I can do it, but I'm slow. Boilers and heating controls on the other hand.....

It is a damming indictment of our industry training that someone can install a boiler and not know how to wire it up. Referring back to apprenticeships, there are plenty about, but there is not real help from the powers that be to make up the difference in the cost of the training incurred by the SME, and the extra "help" the apprentice offers.

For us, an apprentice, if being taught, will add time onto each job in hand. The customer won't to pay for it. The person mentoring the apprentice equally won't want to be paying for it.

Actually I've just skim read the funding page on the government website. It's a bit of a joke really. Much like university fees. Bloody stupid idea that too.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)