HR92 replacement/removal without deleting entire zone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emmeesse68
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2014

HR92 replacement/removal without deleting entire zone?

Hi all,

I'm playing around with one of my HR92 and I think I managed to make it unusable so I ordered a replacement.

I know how to add the new valve to the old zone, but unless I find a way to remove the old HR92 from the zone, my controller would go on signaling the comms error to the missing old radiator head forever...

Is there a way to remove an actuator (rad valve, relay or other) from the zone defined on the controller, without deleting and recreating the entire zone (and going through the pain of manually recreating all the schedule)?

thanks...!
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

Create a new zone. Bind bits in. Copy schedule, delete old zone.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• emmeesse68
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
      Create a new zone. Bind bits in. Copy schedule, delete old zone.
      Good idea... why didn't I think of it... thanks Dan!

I was actually thinking about doing something more elaborated, with Python client, backing up the whole configuration, removing all HR92 from zone (just because I have no means to say which is which), restoring edited config, bind back what's needed... just to try not to lose exrea configuration and maybe learning curves... If it turns out to be too complicated, the above idea looks safer and quicker.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Jun 2012

Wowsers....

The learning data will be recollected in a few days, not sure that trying to retain it is worth all that effort.

Mind you, an interesting project in terms of the backing up and restoring of a unit.
        Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Another way to do it without creating a new zone is just to change the zone to something else and then back to a radiator zone, this will clear the bindings at the controller end, but remember to clear the binding on the HR92's themselves as well. (go to the bind function on the HR92 but do a long press for the last step until it says cleared instead of a short press to bind)

So go into the zone configuration for the zone, where it says zone type is radiator, change it to for example zone valve, then pretend to set up a zone valve zone, when it gets to the bit asking you to bind the zone valve relay (which you don't have) just cancel and you will be back at the zone configuration page with no actuators or sensors bound. Clear the bindings on the affected HR92's on the HR92's user interface at this point.

Now change it back to a radiator zone and follow the steps re-bind your sensor (if you have one) and HR92(s). If you had multiple HR92's in the zone and you only wanted to remove one you'll need to rebind the ones that are remaining with the zone.

I've always done it this way without copying or creating new zones and haven't had any problems. Another advantage is if you do any graphing with something like Domoticz it is still the same zone - if you use the create and copy method you'll have to adjust your graphing for the "new" zone which will have a different ID number even if you name it the same.
          Last edited by DBMandrake; 15 December 2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• ukEvo
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
            So go into the zone configuration for the zone, where it says zone type is radiator, change it to for example zone valve, then pretend to set up a zone valve zone, when it gets to the bit asking you to bind the zone valve relay (which you don't have) just cancel and you will be back at the zone configuration page with no actuators or sensors bound. Clear the bindings on the affected HR92's on the HR92's user interface at this point.

Now change it back to a radiator zone and follow the steps re-bind your sensor (if you have one) and HR92(s). If you had multiple HR92's in the zone and you only wanted to remove one you'll need to rebind the ones that are remaining with the zone.
            Excellent advice, thank you! Saved me lots of time and head scratching. Now on to looking for answers to the other difficulties I'm having as a newbie.
            ukEvo 'cos I'm an Evans.

Comment

• DanD
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Feb 2016

I agree. DBMandrake's advice should definitely be one for Honeywell to add to an Evohome controller UI Hints and Tips list on their site. I've avoided messing with the devices across my system for the very reason that it's so painful to have to re-enter detailed zone-specific schedules. Now with this tip, I'm going to do even more messing.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Of course it would be better if the UI had a way to explicitly unbind all devices in a zone without clearing the zone schedule, without resorting to a workaround like the one I suggest.

Given how important it is to clear bindings properly when changing things around (such as swapping HR92's between rooms, replacing HR92's etc) I'm surprised that there isn't a way.

Comment

• Andy the Minion
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Of course it would be better if the UI had a way to explicitly unbind all devices in a zone without clearing the zone schedule, without resorting to a workaround like the one I suggest.

Given how important it is to clear bindings properly when changing things around (such as swapping HR92's between rooms, replacing HR92's etc) I'm surprised that there isn't a way.
                  The is an ‘unbind’ function - well it is actually more a forget function because the HR92 itself wont be truly unbound. In the Rf signal strength test result screen press next and you get the option to clear (forget) the bind to any HR92 that have NOT been heard from. Remember you need to put HR92 into Rf test mode to get them to respond to the signal strength test, so if you want to move one then deliberately dont put it into Rf test mode. Please also remember to rebind, remove the batteries or dispose of the HR92 because it will still be transmitting and strange but not necessarily wonderful things can happen.
                  Resideo employee. Comments are personal, and likely to get a hard stare from Rameses

Comment

• Nicodemus
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Nov 2016

I bought my Evohome system about 2.5 years ago. I thought the documentation was pretty poor. It is of the "trained monkey" style - tells you which buttons to press without explaining why. It's ok when things go according to plan (as they did for me at the time). But hopeless when you need to go slightly "off piste" - because it is not clear what is going on under the covers.

I am in the situation of needing to replace a couple of HR92's. One was chewed off by the dog(!) The other damaged by a leak from the towel rail it was attached to.
                    The problem of course is how to tell the controller that the old HR92's no longer exist? Evohome supports multiple radiators in the same zone. Therefore they have designed it to allow users to ADD devices to a zone. They have neglected to provide a clear simple way to REMOVE one!

Thank you for the various workarounds on this thread - I would have been going round in circles otherwise.

I think the best suggestion for me was to temporarily change the Heating Type for the zone. It warns you it is about to erase all the bindings for that zone (which is exactly what you want).

Comment

Working...
                    X