• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rvb99
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2017

xmas tree caution

So a cautionary tale. We installed a large (natural) xmas tree in our lounge ( also the room with the EvoController location) and since have had 4 days of intermittent comms failure with the boiler BDR91 situated at the other end of the house. , even though the xmas tree is well away from the line of sight between controller and relay. I have now moved the Controller out of the lounge and all seems well again.
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

It could be Santa on his mobile interfering with the devices as they communicate with the Panel. Much depends on what frequency his phone is on.

More seriously, it puzzles me that a tree would cause this interference unless it has wirelessly operated lights.

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

The PSUs for many LED lights are very poor, giving off shedloads of RF.

Next time I buy a set I'm going to take my RF Explorer to the shop with me!

Comment

• StuartP
        • Feb 2004

Yup, xmas lights are well known for causing RF problems, including affecting broadband connections. Back to good old candles I say.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Yeah, then the Wi-Fi will be fine. Until the point where the fire reaches the router....

Merry Christmas!

P.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
            It could be Santa on his mobile interfering with the devices as they communicate with the Panel. Much depends on what frequency his phone is on.

More seriously, it puzzles me that a tree would cause this interference unless it has wirelessly operated lights.
            You think that's bad.

My hot water BDR91 lost comms for a while this morning - the culprit ? A chilly bin from a trip away was sitting on the kitchen floor about a metre in front of the wall which has the BDR91 mounted on the other side.

I kid you not... It's not even metallic! Comms test with or without the chilly bin in place was supposedly 5/5. I've had the same problem with a small portable dehumidifier being left to sit in the same spot before causing loss of comms to the same relay - at least that had some metal in it.

The controller is less than 6 metres from all three BDR91's.

The wireless comms on this system is a delicate flower, that's for sure...

PS, if the tree had a significant amount of moisture in the wood that can cause significant attenuation at high frequencies in the UHF and above range.
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 22 December 2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

A chilly bin. I suggest you turn the heating up!

Some plasterboard insulation in walls is another culprit.

Comment

Working...
              X