Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding underfloor heating to existing system

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Adding underfloor heating to existing system

Hi

First of all, thanks for everyone's contributions here. I've been lurking for years in 'read-only' mode

At the moment I have an EvoHome system with six zones. I'm refurbishing one end of my home and intend on installing underfloor heating.

The current system is Y-Plan. The boiler is downstairs in the utility room right next to where the UFH manifold is going to go. The pump and existing three port valve are upstairs in the airing cupboard.

My (almost certainly flawed) logic tells me that the best way of dealing with this would be the following:-

1) Remove the three port valve and replace with a pair of 2 port valves - that deals with DHW and the existing radiators
    2) Move the pump downstairs next to the boiler
    3) Add a third two port valve feeding the UFH connected in parallel with the UFH pump which will be controlled by the HCC80

It this right?

Cheers,

Steve

Automated Home Legend

Unless your UFH is going to comprise of many zones, you don't need the HCC80. A single BDR91 + TR87RF will be fine. The UFH zone will need it's own flow and return and valve. The BDR91 will switch on the valve, the valve will switch on the UFL heating pump.

Automated Home Jr Member

On the assumption you could run any number of UFH zones with BDR91s and temperature sensors, what advantage does the UFH controller bring? I guess after a point itís cheaper than multiple BDRs, but does it have different runtime settings, cycles etc?

Automated Home Legend

The HCC is needed if you want to zone a single manifold into multiple zones. if you have a manifold per zone then a BDR91 is just as good.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    The HCC is needed if you want to zone a single manifold into multiple zones. if you have a manifold per zone then a BDR91 is just as good.
    You can still do it using multiple BDR91s with single zone manifold and multiple zones. We have two zones off our manifold each controlled by a BDR91.

Automated Home Jr Member

I have one manifold serving four zones, so I think the HCC makes sense?

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
    I have one manifold serving four zones, so I think the HCC makes sense?
    I make it about £200 cheaper using 4 BDR91s and TR87RF?

Automated Home Jr Member

Leaving the thermostats out of the equation (as I'd need them for either solution), I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

The HCC80 is £280. Four BDR91s would be £220. That's a saving of just £60, not £200.

I'm obviously missing something here though!

Automated Home Legend

and make sure the zones are definitely independent I.e. you can close the doors etc. No point zoning if open plan or doors are not normally closed....which often happens downstairs.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
    Leaving the thermostats out of the equation (as I'd need them for either solution), I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

The HCC80 is £280. Four BDR91s would be £220. That's a saving of just £60, not £200.

I'm obviously missing something here though!
    Yeah but you can buy the T87RF with a BDR91 for around £20 more. So @ £92 each * 4 = £368

If you use the HCC80, then that's £280, plus the stats at £74 each, so = £576 making a £208 difference between the two.

That's going on that fact that you already don't have the stats though....