Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR80 & HR92 in same multi room zone?

Automated Home Lurker

Default HR80 & HR92 in same multi room zone?

I have a gateway model evohome and HR80 radiator controllers, I have just added a radiator with a HR92 and bound it to a zone that already has 2 HR80s in it, I also changed it to a multi room zone at the same time. The problem is that one of the radiators is cold and the other two don't seem to turn off at all - is it OK for me to mix the HR80 and HR92 in the same zone or should I put the HR92 in another single radiator zone and have 3 HR80s in the one zone?

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

It should work, but when I've retrofitted actuators and whatnot, I've always deleted the zone and started again.

Don't forget to remove the heads, fully open the valve and refit the heads to allow them to relearn the throw of the valve.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks, I will try doing that. Does it matter which order I bind the radiator controllers in?

On multi room zones, not so much.

Automated Home Lurker

OK thanks, would it be different if I was binding a HR92 and a HR80 to a single room zone then?

First one bound is the sensor, that's the difference.

Automated Home Lurker

So I deleted the zone and added it again, but its still the same - one radiator (HR80 - bound first) is cold but the other two are too hot to touch. I then changed it back to a single room zone (2 rads in kitchen, one in utility) but it was still the same.

Then I set the HR92 and the HR80 on the two hot rads to 'Off' by turning the knobs, and they were still hot - I had to remove the actuator heads and manually turn the black/grey wheels to stop them heating. Room set point is 17°C but room temp displayed on the base unit is 18°C. I must have done something wrong as the two HR80s were working fine together before I added the HR92, does anyone have any ideas?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Grib View Post
    Then I set the HR92 and the HR80 on the two hot rads to 'Off' by turning the knobs, and they were still hot - I had to remove the actuator heads and manually turn the black/grey wheels to stop them heating.
    Did you wait long enough (at least 15 minutes) for it to cool down after turning it to off and it was still heating ?

If so, and turning the wheel manually was necessary to stop the radiator heating it sounds like a mechanical problem, nothing to do with the programming.

It could be a sticky valve body that won't stop flowing until the pin is pushed down really hard, or the adaptor might not be screwed on properly.

What kind of valve bodies do you have and are you using just the standard M30x1.5 adaptor supplied with the unit, or are you using one of the other adaptors ?

A photo might be helpful.

Another thing you could try is setting stroke to 1 (the HR92 has this, not sure if the HR80 has an equivalent setting) this increases the motor torque to push the pin down further (among other things) and may help if the valve body is a bit sticky or seizing but should be considered a workaround not an ideal solution even if it works.

It could be a sign that the rubber seal in the valve body is faulty for example and is not sealing with a normal amount of pin force.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 28th December 2017 at 11:38 PM.

Automated Home Guru

I’velearnt something about multiple HR92’s in one zone, previously we had one HR92 and one uncontrolled radiator in our bedroom and following a bathroom refitting moved a now redundant HR92 to our bedroom, joined the two HR92’s to one zone and ever since suffered a large temperature differential across the room, the one recently added was adjacent to our airing cupboard and read a steady 19°C but I now realise both did even though by the window I was measuring often 17°C, so to correct this I adjusted the cold zone HR by changing the calibration value by -1°C but that made no difference, still the radiator would not come on when the room was feeling cold. Changed the calibration down to -3 and still no difference, then it dawned on me that the HR92 both report the same temperature and always report the highest of either, so then I returned the adjusted HR back to 0 offset and changed the artificially high HR next to a warm wall by -2°C and now they both read 2°C lower and the room is now at the correct temperature as programmed a comfortable 19.5°C not 17°C.

That’s not a feature that I expected in a multi HR zone and I confirm they take about 15 mins to stabilise after an adjustment.

Hope you find this useful.

Automated Home Legend

I think you misunderstand how things work. They are not reporting "the highest of either" - in a single room zone (which is the default) there is only one temperature sensor for the zone - so only one of your HR92's was measuring the temperature, by the sound of it the one next to the airing cupboard. They both read the same temperature on the display because the one that is nominated to be the sensor sends the temperature measurement to the controller, which then redistributes the measurement back to both HR92's and hence they read the same temperature, and both adjust themselves based on that one temperature reading.

So if there is a large temperature gradient across the room between the two radiators - which is easily the case in a bedroom with the window ajar, and you are measuring the temperature at the warmer end of the room by the airing cupboard, then yes, the window end of the room will be colder than claimed.

The reason why adjusting calibrate on the HR92 by the window made no difference is because that one was not configured as the sensor. The calibrate function only has an effect on the device that is the sensor.

Adjusting the calibrate artificially further than -1 at the warm end of the room is not really the best way to deal with this, as now the warm end is over warm...you're probably better off putting both the calibrations back to -1 and changing the zone to a "multi-room" zone. In this mode the two HR92's will follow the same schedule however they will measure the temperature independently and adjust themselves based on their own measurement. (In multi-room zone mode the calibrate function on both HR92's will now work as well as they are both sensors for themselves)

This is good for any room where there may be a significant temperature gradient across the room (another example is an open plan living room/kitchen where the kitchen end is hotter) and will help to equalise that gradient and ensure that both ends of you room are a comfy 19.5 rather than the cold end being 19.5 and the warm end probably now in reality being 21.5.

Another option for a bedroom is to use a wall mounted sensor above the bed, assuming the bed is not on the radiator/window wall, which is what I've done in our bedroom. We sleep with the window ajar and the radiator is below the window - if the built in sensor in the HR92 is used the cold air coming in the window will artificially cool the sensor below the true ambient temperature in the room bringing the radiator on and actually causing the rest of the room including the area of the bed to be a couple of degrees hotter than desired, with the error being affected by small changes in airflow coming in the window.

By using a DTS92 above the head of the bed we get a consistent bedroom temperature at the bed regardless of any temperature gradient through the room that might be a result of the window or door being ajar.

We do the same in our toddlers bedroom - there is a DTS92 on the wall above the cot (just out of reach ) which is on a different wall to the radiator and window. This keeps a very consistent and precise temperature at the cot irrespective of cold air coming through the window or indeed the window or door being open or closed, which is not the case when using the HR92's built in sensor as it is under the window and also a lot closer to the door than the cot.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 30th December 2017 at 02:49 AM.