Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Evohome and BDR not working as expected

I am a homeowner of Evohome with system and my system includes:

1. Evohome controlller
    2. BDR91 for the heating control
    3. Hot water kit including BDR91
    4. HR92 - 5 pieces

My boiler has two valves - one for stored hot water and one for the heating (radiators) and each of the BDRs is connected to its respective valves.

When I setup both heating and Hot water BDRs, if I press the test buttons on each of the BDRs, the led switches on and the respective valve is opened while also the boiler is also switched on by each of the BDRs.

But when I try to have this working via the evotouch controller things do not work as expected. I have the below cases

Case 1:. When i setup everything through guided configuration, Heating BDR91 works fine (if I need to switch on only the heating), but when it comes to switching the Hot water BDR one (and the heating is off) , both BDR91 are swicthed on and when i try to swicth it off from the evohome controller only the heating BDR switches off while the hot water BDR stays on. I am expecting that only the BDR91 of Stored water valve is swicthed on and switched off when i set it on the controller.
    Note: The only way to remove the hot water BDR while is still open is that i remove the hot water from the settings and press the BDR91 button for 15 seconds so i will erase its memory - and it is showing a blinking red led for days. - I hope i am not causing any issues but this is the only way.

Case 2. If i remove the stored water from the contorller and reset the HW BDR91 the heating works fine. Please note that in this case the Boiler control option is set to Wireless relay box. When I try to set this to none, the evohome controller is not able to switch on the heating BDR91. Now if I bind the stored water again I am able to switch on the HW BDR91 from the contoller but not able to switch it off (I set if as "off" on the controller but afetr 30 mins the BDR is still on.

I hope the above cases provided some sort of evidence of what my problem would be.

As I have mentioned all I need is my system to be able to switch on and off the two BDRs and the BDRs (as then i press the demo button on them manually they seem to work as expected)
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

This sounds like a double binding on a BDR. In your situation, I would clear the bindings on both BDRs by pressing the button for 15 seconds and then re-bind each BDR to the controller.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2017

Sounds like you've got your heating BDR91 set up as a boiler relay rather than a Heating Relay. You need to clear all bindings of them both then follow the set up in the stored hot water ensuring you select '2 or 3 port valve', this will then ask you to bind the hot water valve and then the heating valve. Under the installer settings boiler relay should then show 'none'.

Comment

• yiangosliv
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2015

Thank you both for your replies. I have done the binding of the BDRs tens of times and its always behaving like this. I always do the 15+5 sec binding but unfortunately I have the same (unwanted) result. If I select the 2 or 3 port valve would that fit my boiler config? since my Boiler has two Valves, one for HW and one for heating

Comment

• mtmcgavock
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by yiangosliv View Post
          Thank you both for your replies. I have done the binding of the BDRs tens of times and its always behaving like this. I always do the 15+5 sec binding but unfortunately I have the same (unwanted) result. If I select the 2 or 3 port valve would that fit my boiler config? since my Boiler has two Valves, one for HW and one for heating
          Yeah that's where you are going wrong. You need to select this option as you have two 2 port valves. By not selecting this option you are setting EvoHome up as a HW valve and boiler relay, rather than a HW valve and Heating valve. That's why you are experiencing what you have described.

Comment

• yiangosliv
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2015

Worked like a charm Thank you

Comment

• yiangosliv
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2015

Had to reset my Evohome due to technical reasons and have the similar problem again. I have set the controller to factory default (all zones deleted). Do I have first to do GUIDED CONFIGURATION>STORED HOT WATER CONFIGURATION> 2 or 3 Port valve> bind sensor and bdr91 for DHW and then the BDR for the heating. This is what i did so far. How about the zones? do i have to then do GUIDED CONFIGURATION>zone control configuration or add the zones manually?

Comment

• yiangosliv
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2015

Anyone who could give some advice please? I tried to setup the system again and noticed the following:

1. Reset to factory default
                2. Guided configuration, setup HW using 2 or 3 port valve First I am prompted to bind HW BRD91 and
                3. then the heating valve BDR
                4. Living room zone is there but not setup - When i try to setup living room zone I am prompted to bind it with its HR92 and then the actuator (is this again the Heating BDR91?) - this is what I assumed. in the
                5. setup the remaining zones with the HR92
                6. After the setup only HW was working, the heating BDR was not triggered.

I have noticed that under system devices the BOILER CONTROL was wireless relay box, while the STORED HOT WATER was enabled. Is this normal?

I have now reset everything and binded only the heating valve leaving HW out.

Can anyone please provide some feedback on what might be wrong with my config so I can have both heating and HW?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Anyone who could give some advice please? I tried to setup the system again and noticed the following:

1. Reset to factory default
                  2. Guided configuration, setup HW using 2 or 3 port valve First I am prompted to bind HW BRD91 and
                  Personally I would not use the guided configuration. I always just go into system settings and then stored hot water to set up the boiler side of things, then just manually add zones to create the zones.
                  3. then the heating valve BDR
                  4. Living room zone is there but not setup - When i try to setup living room zone I am prompted to bind it with its HR92 and then the actuator (is this again the Heating BDR91?) - this is what I assumed. in the
                  No. The BDR91 is not not an actuator for your living room zone. The HR92 is the actuator.

I think you are being confused by the messages - when you bind the first HR92 in a zone it will bind it both as temperature sensor, and an actuator automatically. It will then ask if you want to bind additional actuators to the zone. This means additional HR92's if you have multiple radiators in the zone. If you only have the one HR92 in the zone say no to binding additional actuators and definitely don't try to bind it to a BDR91.
                  5. setup the remaining zones with the HR92
                  6. After the setup only HW was working, the heating BDR was not triggered.

I have noticed that under system devices the BOILER CONTROL was wireless relay box, while the STORED HOT WATER was enabled. Is this normal?
                  No, if you only have two BDR91's one for hot water and one for heating, they should be bound only in the stored hot water configuration and boiler control should be set to NONE, not wireless relay box. If it says wireless relay box then you have mistakenly bound it as a boiler control relay - this will need to be removed and bindings performed again.
                  I have now reset everything and binded only the heating valve leaving HW out.
                  Not sure I understand why you have done that...

Comment

• yiangosliv
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Dec 2015

Thanks DBMandrake for the explanation provided. I think i understood where the problem was with configuration. Do you suggest that instead of using guided configuration, to

1. just go in the system devices and set Boiler control to NONE and for hot water start binding the HW Valve and then the heating valve?
                    2. Recreate my zones?

Comment

• yiangosliv
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Dec 2015

I managed to bind everything today. One HR92 per zone. In some cases when i was getting the response 1 actuator bound 2 way and in some cases i did not. Why is that?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

I managed to bind everything today. One HR92 per zone. In some cases when i was getting the response 1 actuator bound 2 way and in some cases i did not. Why is that?
                        Probably due to differences in the order of whether you start the binding process on the controller first or on the HR92 first. This can lead to different responses. I normally get the controller to the point just before you press the bind button, then go to the HR92 and put it in binding mode, then press the bind button on the controller and wait until it has said it is finished binding.

Comment

Working...
                        X