• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Away mode disabled itself

I had the away mode enabled for a few days. But suddenly last night it switched itself off and started following the regular schedule. Strange thing is that it switched off at 2130 in the night and 3 days before I had set it to switch off. Any theories?
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Someone other than you had a fiddle with the panel or the app?

P.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

According to my logs the system went from Away to Off (10 mins) to Normal. I spotted it only because I saw the boiler on, when I didnt expect it to be on.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

No one in my household even knows how to use the heating system and we aren't home. So it will remain a mystery to me.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Any integrations with services like IFTTT that you've forgotten about ?

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
            No one in my household even knows how to use the heating system and we aren't home. So it will remain a mystery to me.
            A cautionary tale......

Customer rings in a stroppy mood:

"You serviced the boiler two weeks ago and now it's not working "

"what's the error code"

"there isn't one, just the red light"

"that's the standby light, some one has turned it off."

"no they haven't"

"press the button on the left"

".......... "

"is it on?"

"........"

"....."

"yes"

"see you next year madam".

CLICK.
            Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Dan’s post is reminiscent of the tale of the person ringing the Microsoft help desk as the computer is not working. When asked to switch it off at the mains and reboot, the person says he/she can’t see to do that. On being asked why he/she advises there is a power cut and she cannot put the light on!

However in DBMandrake’s case if there was nobody at home then perhaps it is the festive spirits at large!

I have though had odd unexplained things happen when there has been no human intervention, such as the heating not going off when it should. The occasional unexplained increase in temperature to 2 degrees above that set.

Perhaps the New Year is going to bring us improvements to the software and an app that really is fully functional with better controls!

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                Dan’s post is reminiscent of the tale of the person ringing the Microsoft help desk as the computer is not working. When asked to switch it off at the mains and reboot, the person says he/she can’t see to do that. On being asked why he/she advises there is a power cut and she cannot put the light on!

However in DBMandrake’s case if there was nobody at home then perhaps it is the festive spirits at large!

I have though had odd unexplained things happen when there has been no human intervention, such as the heating not going off when it should. The occasional unexplained increase in temperature to 2 degrees above that set.

Perhaps the New Year is going to bring us improvements to the software and an app that really is fully functional with better controls!

There are a few more that LOL, I remember the one about the user complaining that his Cup holder was broken.

In the case of my post, that call happened to me very recently. She's a miserable cow anyway, and the husband so hen pecked it's unreal. I was trying my best not to laugh down the line. Still, the good egg in me resisted sending someone out and charging £84 to press a button.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
                  She's a miserable cow anyway, and the husband so hen pecked it's unreal.
                  Blimey! I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to post comments like that about my own customers on a publicly accessible forum!

P.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Jun 2012

Ordinarily I'd agree, but....

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
                      Ordinarily I'd agree, but....
                      Sometimes people like this need to be told the truth! I suspect though she will not be a member of the forum. I have always wanted to say “Have you always been so objectionable or have you been for lessons”. Sadly I usually forget when the opportunity raises itself. I did once with a client who calmed down and apologised, seeing the humour in what I had said. Risky though!

But we have all had these moments of brain failure. Like putting a plug on and then having got it all wired up you realise you did not thread the wire through the protective cover - in the days when they came that way. Worse when the wiring involved soldering the connections!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

So let me end this thread by saying that you guys gave me a clue. I have an IFTTT rule to switch the Quick Action to OFF when the external temperature goes past 15C. And then cancels the quick action when the temperature goes below 15C. Never did I think that Winter temperatures would ever reach 15C, but it did. So while we were away the warm outside temperature triggered my OFF and then cancelled my OFF, which meant my AWAY "magically" was disabled. So on the subject of brain failure....I do feel a bit silly too.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Jun 2012

So let me end this thread by saying that you guys gave me a clue. I have an IFTTT rule to switch the Quick Action to OFF when the external temperature goes past 15C. And then cancels the quick action when the temperature goes below 15C. Never did I think that Winter temperatures would ever reach 15C, but it did. So while we were away the warm outside temperature triggered my OFF and then cancelled my OFF, which meant my AWAY "magically" was disabled. So on the subject of brain failure....I do feel a bit silly too.
                            We've all been there. I could tell some stories LOL.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Aha! So I nailed it.

On a somewhat related note I had trouble with a recalcitrant zone the other day - it is in a room with a treadmill and was manually overridden to 5C for exercise. Later on I noticed SWMBO had not cancelled the override (as it is normally at 15C most of the day, as an unused room) so I cancelled it from the controller.

A few hours later I walked past the controller and it was manually overridden to 5C again - huh ? I've had phantom overrides before where a change gets reverted to the previous temperature so I cancelled it again and didn't think much more about it.

Then the following day I noticed it was set to 5C again with the override icon! I cancelled it one more time (repeating the same unsuccessful action many times is a recipe for success right ? Err, no...) and it was overridden again later.

Finally went into the room and looked at the HR92 which was set to OFF! (not by me though) Whoops....

And that's all it was... The funny thing is I'm aware of the OFF mode of the HR92 and the fact that the controller can't override it, but I could have sworn that when you try to override it from the controller it appears as if the change went through but the HR92 just ignores it. Eg the controller would have gone back to 15C with the HR92 ignoring it.

Perhaps it's part of the newer firmware but it seems that when the HR92 sends its hourly set point update (which is apparently 5C when in OFF mode) the controller now does indicate this as a 5C manual override.

I checked my graphs and sure enough, it was the same time of the hour each time that it went from my attempted higher temperature back to 5C. Also when there was a scheduled set point change it briefly went to that set point at the controller but the reverted to 5C again at the same hourly point.

Something to be aware of if you have any HR92's in OFF mode! (Another thing to be aware of is it disables frost protect for the radiator!)

Another conversation ensued about why OFF mode should never be used on an HR92 but I doubt it sunk in...

Comment

Working...
                              X