Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Away mode disabled itself

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    Ordinarily I'd agree, but....
    Sometimes people like this need to be told the truth! I suspect though she will not be a member of the forum. I have always wanted to say “Have you always been so objectionable or have you been for lessons”. Sadly I usually forget when the opportunity raises itself. I did once with a client who calmed down and apologised, seeing the humour in what I had said. Risky though!

But we have all had these moments of brain failure. Like putting a plug on and then having got it all wired up you realise you did not thread the wire through the protective cover - in the days when they came that way. Worse when the wiring involved soldering the connections!

Automated Home Legend

So let me end this thread by saying that you guys gave me a clue. I have an IFTTT rule to switch the Quick Action to OFF when the external temperature goes past 15C. And then cancels the quick action when the temperature goes below 15C. Never did I think that Winter temperatures would ever reach 15C, but it did. So while we were away the warm outside temperature triggered my OFF and then cancelled my OFF, which meant my AWAY "magically" was disabled. So on the subject of brain failure....I do feel a bit silly too.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    So let me end this thread by saying that you guys gave me a clue. I have an IFTTT rule to switch the Quick Action to OFF when the external temperature goes past 15C. And then cancels the quick action when the temperature goes below 15C. Never did I think that Winter temperatures would ever reach 15C, but it did. So while we were away the warm outside temperature triggered my OFF and then cancelled my OFF, which meant my AWAY "magically" was disabled. So on the subject of brain failure....I do feel a bit silly too.
    We've all been there. I could tell some stories LOL.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Aha! So I nailed it.

On a somewhat related note I had trouble with a recalcitrant zone the other day - it is in a room with a treadmill and was manually overridden to 5C for exercise. Later on I noticed SWMBO had not cancelled the override (as it is normally at 15C most of the day, as an unused room) so I cancelled it from the controller.

A few hours later I walked past the controller and it was manually overridden to 5C again - huh ? I've had phantom overrides before where a change gets reverted to the previous temperature so I cancelled it again and didn't think much more about it.

Then the following day I noticed it was set to 5C again with the override icon! I cancelled it one more time (repeating the same unsuccessful action many times is a recipe for success right ? Err, no...) and it was overridden again later.

Finally went into the room and looked at the HR92 which was set to OFF! (not by me though) Whoops....

And that's all it was... The funny thing is I'm aware of the OFF mode of the HR92 and the fact that the controller can't override it, but I could have sworn that when you try to override it from the controller it appears as if the change went through but the HR92 just ignores it. Eg the controller would have gone back to 15C with the HR92 ignoring it.

Perhaps it's part of the newer firmware but it seems that when the HR92 sends its hourly set point update (which is apparently 5C when in OFF mode) the controller now does indicate this as a 5C manual override.

I checked my graphs and sure enough, it was the same time of the hour each time that it went from my attempted higher temperature back to 5C. Also when there was a scheduled set point change it briefly went to that set point at the controller but the reverted to 5C again at the same hourly point.

Something to be aware of if you have any HR92's in OFF mode! (Another thing to be aware of is it disables frost protect for the radiator!)

Another conversation ensued about why OFF mode should never be used on an HR92 but I doubt it sunk in...

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Then the following day I noticed it was set to 5C again with the override icon! I cancelled it one more time (repeating the same unsuccessful action many times is a recipe for success right ? Err, no...) and it was overridden again later.

Finally went into the room and looked at the HR92 which was set to OFF! (not by me though) Whoops....

And that's all it was... The funny thing is I'm aware of the OFF mode of the HR92 and the fact that the controller can't override it, but I could have sworn that when you try to override it from the controller it appears as if the change went through but the HR92 just ignores it. Eg the controller would have gone back to 15C with the HR92 ignoring it.

Perhaps it's part of the newer firmware but it seems that when the HR92 sends its hourly set point update (which is apparently 5C when in OFF mode) the controller now does indicate this as a 5C manual override.

Something to be aware of if you have any HR92's in OFF mode! (Another thing to be aware of is it disables frost protect for the radiator!)

:
    Same thing happened to me, step son turned off the ensuite HR92 and it threw me for a couple of days.

But DBMandrake, you're saying be aware it (HR92) disables frost protect in OFF mode - surely 5C is frost protection??

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by killa47 View Post
    Same thing happened to me, step son turned off the ensuite HR92 and it threw me for a couple of days.

But DBMandrake, you're saying be aware it (HR92) disables frost protect in OFF mode - surely 5C is frost protection??
    It might report 5C on the control panel when the HR92 is set to OFF, but I can state with complete certainty that turning the HR92 to OFF disables frost protect, whereas setting it to 5C does not.

I tested it by placing an HR92 attached to a spare valve body in the freezer for a while... Set to 5 it opens the valve when it gets below 5C as you'd expect. (From memory it also says "Frost" or something similar on the screen) Set it to OFF and it will happily sit there with the valve closed down to -15...

Not sure if this is documented anywhere though, and it's far too easy to accidentally turn it to OFF instead of 5C or do so on purpose not understanding all the consequences...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 2nd January 2018 at 02:19 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Sounds like what you have thought was your own mental aberration has resulted in the discovery of a bug. I had always believed that off meant 5C.

Automated Home Legend

I don't think the HR80 can be set to OFF, the lowest it goes is 5C. Hence I have a box of the manual TRV heads ready for when a room needs the rad to be taken off