Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome install - have I got the right idea?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I left my immersion element in my cylinder in case I ever need to heat water that way but have it switched off. I used the sensor that came with the hot water kit - one where it is fastened to the outside about one third up from the bottom. Works fine.
    I’ve got an unvented tribune xe pre-plumber cylinder though. So it’s encased in a plastic cover. It doesn’t seem to have any spare ports neither to tap into. I’ve got 4 probes going into the ‘thermostat manifold’ near the bottom of the tank. 2 is for the cylinder stat and 2 for the immersion. Still unsure with how I’m going to do it yet! Any ideas?

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Harvmate111 View Post
    I’ve got an unvented tribune xe pre-plumber cylinder though. So it’s encased in a plastic cover. It doesn’t seem to have any spare ports neither to tap into. I’ve got 4 probes going into the ‘thermostat manifold’ near the bottom of the tank. 2 is for the cylinder stat and 2 for the immersion. Still unsure with how I’m going to do it yet! Any ideas?
    Isn't their room to push it in? Or even where you take the covers off to see the wiring can't you see any part of the insulation of the cylinder? Your picture isn't that great.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Isn't their room to push it in? Or even where you take the covers off to see the wiring can't you see any part of the insulation of the cylinder? Your picture isn't that great.
    Nope no room to push it in as all 4 pockets are taken. Iíve just looked and 1 goes to the cylinder stat and 3 of them do to the immersion heater. Taking off the cover you only see the stainless outer core. I mean I could drill a small hole into the outer core, and push the Evohome thermostat up between the cylinder and insulation but Iíd rather not go down that route if I can help it.

Might be easier to isolate the immersion heater and use one of the pockets from that for the Evohome? Canít see a need for the immersion heater unless in an emergency and our boiler breaks down. In that case I can reinstall the immersion thermostat and re-energise?

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Harvmate111 View Post
    Nope no room to push it in as all 4 pockets are taken. I’ve just looked and 1 goes to the cylinder stat and 3 of them do to the immersion heater. Taking off the cover you only see the stainless outer core. I mean I could drill a small hole into the outer core, and push the Evohome thermostat up between the cylinder and insulation but I’d rather not go down that route if I can help it.

Might be easier to isolate the immersion heater and use one of the pockets from that for the Evohome? Can’t see a need for the immersion heater unless in an emergency and our boiler breaks down. In that case I can reinstall the immersion thermostat and re-energise?
    Are you sure one of them isn't for the high limit stat, they usually have a probe each one, so cylinder stat and then high limit stat. In which case you need to leave in. Personally without seeing it I cannot offer my opinion however i'd be leaving my immersion wired in and intact.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Are you sure one of them isn't for the high limit stat, they usually have a probe each one, so cylinder stat and then high limit stat. In which case you need to leave in. Personally without seeing it I cannot offer my opinion however i'd be leaving my immersion wired in and intact.
    Similar problem with my Oso cylinder. The installer removed the electrical cover and pushed the sensor up at an angle between the insulation and the cylinder with some flux. Taped the wire and it has worked fine for 4 years. The two existing unvented stats have been wired in series with Evohome.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Heatsink paste would be better than flux. Not expensive.

A heating installer might not even know this stuff exists.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Heatsink paste would be better than flux. Not expensive.

A heating installer might not even know this stuff exists.

P.
    My bad: it was as you suggest.

Automated Home Jr Member

Installed today. In the end I drilled a 32mm hole into the outer casing and installed the Evohome HW thermostat with thermal compound.

Early days but it appears to be running a dream! Thank you for all your help, definitely cut the installation time right down!

Thank you