• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stephent
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2018

3 channel smart heating

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and am posting because I'm interested in upgrading my house to "smart heating".
    I have a pretty standard 3 channel setup in my house (Vaillant boiler, Horstmann controller, 2 radiator zones - upstairs and downstairs + HW).
    I'd like to replace this with a smart system with TRVs on all the rads, whilst continuing to support all 3 channels.

I quite like the look of the Tado system, but looking at various reviews and install guides I can't see that any smart heating system other than Drayton officially supports 3 channels with TRVs (and for now Drayton seems a bit flaky).

From looking at some older posts on this forum I got slightly hopeful that Evohome may actually be able to support a 3 channel setup.
    Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Many thanks
  • mtmcgavock
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by stephent View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and am posting because I'm interested in upgrading my house to "smart heating".
    I have a pretty standard 3 channel setup in my house (Vaillant boiler, Horstmann controller, 2 radiator zones - upstairs and downstairs + HW).
    I'd like to replace this with a smart system with TRVs on all the rads, whilst continuing to support all 3 channels.

I quite like the look of the Tado system, but looking at various reviews and install guides I can't see that any smart heating system other than Drayton officially supports 3 channels with TRVs (and for now Drayton seems a bit flaky).

From looking at some older posts on this forum I got slightly hopeful that Evohome may actually be able to support a 3 channel setup.
    Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Many thanks
    Are you planning on replacing all your TRVs with smart TRVs or are you just simply wanting to control 2 zones and your hot water?

If you are planning on having smart TRVs on all rads you don't need 3 zones as each becomes it's own zone.

Comment

• stephent
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2018

Great, so in terms of efficiency I don’t lose anything by combining the 2 rad zones into one?

Thanks

Comment

• mtmcgavock
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by stephent View Post
        Great, so in terms of efficiency I don’t lose anything by combining the 2 rad zones into one?

Thanks
        No as by adding Smart TRVs each radiator will be a zone, so if only one radiator requires heat only that radiator will come on. So combining the two zones into one will have no affect on efficiency, as you are taking it one step further and zoning each room.

Comment

Working...
        X