Thread: 3 channel smart heating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Lurker

Default 3 channel smart heating

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and am posting because I'm interested in upgrading my house to "smart heating".
    I have a pretty standard 3 channel setup in my house (Vaillant boiler, Horstmann controller, 2 radiator zones - upstairs and downstairs + HW).
    I'd like to replace this with a smart system with TRVs on all the rads, whilst continuing to support all 3 channels.

I quite like the look of the Tado system, but looking at various reviews and install guides I can't see that any smart heating system other than Drayton officially supports 3 channels with TRVs (and for now Drayton seems a bit flaky).

From looking at some older posts on this forum I got slightly hopeful that Evohome may actually be able to support a 3 channel setup.
    Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Many thanks

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stephent View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and am posting because I'm interested in upgrading my house to "smart heating".
    I have a pretty standard 3 channel setup in my house (Vaillant boiler, Horstmann controller, 2 radiator zones - upstairs and downstairs + HW).
    I'd like to replace this with a smart system with TRVs on all the rads, whilst continuing to support all 3 channels.

I quite like the look of the Tado system, but looking at various reviews and install guides I can't see that any smart heating system other than Drayton officially supports 3 channels with TRVs (and for now Drayton seems a bit flaky).

From looking at some older posts on this forum I got slightly hopeful that Evohome may actually be able to support a 3 channel setup.
    Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Many thanks
    Are you planning on replacing all your TRVs with smart TRVs or are you just simply wanting to control 2 zones and your hot water?

If you are planning on having smart TRVs on all rads you don't need 3 zones as each becomes it's own zone.

Automated Home Lurker

Great, so in terms of efficiency I don’t lose anything by combining the 2 rad zones into one?

Thanks

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stephent View Post
    Great, so in terms of efficiency I don’t lose anything by combining the 2 rad zones into one?

Thanks
    No as by adding Smart TRVs each radiator will be a zone, so if only one radiator requires heat only that radiator will come on. So combining the two zones into one will have no affect on efficiency, as you are taking it one step further and zoning each room.