For those that think the hr92 is too noisy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Also it depends how well your open vented system fills back up, we’ve had systems where you spend longer trying to get air locks out than you did actually doing the job.
    I hear you brother
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
      Also it depends how well your open vented system fills back up, we’ve had systems where you spend longer trying to get air locks out than you did actually doing the job.
      No problem with air locks on this system, I've drained and refilled it a few times now for various reasons without problems, but the actual draining and filling process takes a while.

Comment

• oshingler
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        The one I tested was quieter than the HR92's, but not by a lot. The main difference in noise I found wasn't the motor, but the gearbox.

The HR92's have plastic gears with poor meshing tolerance and minimum lubrication that have a tendency to grind against each other and that's where most of the noise comes from. Some of mine grind/click periodically as they turn, some don't. The HR91 had no grinding/clicking noise, just a quiet whirr from the motor, but the motor whirr was only a little bit less.

The HR92's can be made a bit quieter by putting some white plastic gear grease on the gears.
        Hi - could you recommend a specific grease I could use on the gears please without breaking things? There seems to be some discussion over whether to use lithium or silicone-based products and using the wrong one could crust or mangle your gears!

Comment

• demusss
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by oshingler View Post
          Hi - could you recommend a specific grease I could use on the gears please without breaking things? There seems to be some discussion over whether to use lithium or silicone-based products and using the wrong one could crust or mangle your gears!
          I'd like to know how to make the HR92s quieter as well.
          Thanks

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by oshingler View Post
            Either is probably fine. Lithium grease works fine on plastic gears but can theoretically damage natural rubber unless they are designed to work with mineral oils. (Although I don't think there are any rubber gaskets in the area)

Silicone greases also work with plastic gears and don't harm natural rubber so are probably a safer choice and probably more commonly used with plastic gear mechanisms.

What you shouldn't do is mix Lithium and Silicone greases together - the resultant can go hard and tacky. I don't think there is any grease used at all when the HR92's are manufactured though, I don't remember seeing any...so there is no existing grease to worry about mixing with.

Comment

Working...
            X