• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muzz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2015

Toddler "hacking" evohome

The last couple of months strange things have been happening on some of the HR92's around the house, I haven't yet caught him in the act but I think my 19 month old is "hacking" them and bypassing the local override.

I've finally got round to playing and I think he's "tapping" the HR92 and disconnecting the batteries for a moment. It doesnt seem to reboot and show the version number however the dial seems to activate and the temperature can be changed from 5 - 21 degrees, which in turn updates the temperature on the controller or any other HR92's in the same zone.

I've also found out if the batteries are removed (an extra hard "tap"?) and it reboots the HR92 and to default 20 degrees [Which seems a little high], and updates the controller / other HR92's in the zone. In either scenario the local override doesnt seem to kick back in until the controller does a scheduled temperature update.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Andy
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

If tapping the top is causing momentary loss of power you have a poor battery connection. This is very common with the HR92's - I've had this on many of mine.

Remove the HR92 from the radiator - hold it sitting vertically in the palm of one hand and give the top a good thump with the other hand and you'll probably see it reboot...

Two causes - one is the spring contacts at the bottom not being bent enough - remove the HR92 from the radiator and remove the batteries, then through the bottom push up on the middle of each spring contact with a toothpick or small jewellers screwdriver to bend it up a bit. Don't go overboard.

The second cause is the flat shorting plate at the top end of the batteries. You may even find just slightly pressing or wiggling this will cause a reboot, or that you can wiggle a battery sideways and find it very loose and that that will reboot it.

There are two things you can do here - the first is very gently bend the top plate slightly between three fingers so that you're bending the middle of the plate slightly up and the two ends slightly down. As the plate is latched in the middle this means the side of the plate will push the batteries down slightly further. The second thing you can do is fit the security/theft screws to the top shorting plates - these will hold the shorting plate down a bit further than the middle latch alone.

The battery contacts are poorly designed unfortunately. On one unit I had a lot of trouble getting a really solid connection that wouldn't momentarily disconnect as soon as the unit was thumped slightly.

Good luck.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 4 January 2018, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X