Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evohome Water temperature sensor battery life

Automated Home Lurker

Default evohome Water temperature sensor battery life

I seem to be getting comms error after around a month and changing the two AA batteries solves the errors. All I get is a comms error no mention of the batteries.

Is a months battery life normal for this this sensor?

Automated Home Sr Member

Absolutely not, you should get at least a year. Sounds like a dodgy unit, I would get it swapped under guarantee?

Automated Home Legend

Does the fault restore? I have had this off and on for 4 years. It usually happens when there is no HW ON period or demand. The CS92 has been changed and Honeywell reported No Fault Fund with the old one, and told me not to worry about it when I reported similar occurrences with the new CS92. If a comms fault was to occur when the zone valve was open, I am happy that the normal tank stat would close the valve.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

My batteries are over 2 years old. Although to be fair I stopped using the hot water function a few months ago.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Legend

Batteries should last 2 years on the CS92 and certainly more than a year. After all there is no motor to turn like an HR92 and that can manage 1-2 years...

Comms error doesn't mean flat batteries - do the signal strength test (check the CS92's manual) to see what signal strength you are getting to the controller. They are very picky about placement close to other objects.

I had to move my CS92 as I just couldn't get rid of intermittent comms errors - although it's hard to be sure I think mine was unhappy about being too close to the BDR91's - although it was over 30cm away as specified by Honeywell. I had to move mine to a different wall in the boiler closet entirely to get it reliable, and then I started having problems yet again a few months later and ended up getting a warranty replacement. Finally (touch wood) it is reliable!

Automated Home Legend

I had similar issues. Initially I needed to move the sensor a little further away from the other devices, more than the suggested minimum of 30cms. My first lot of batteries lasted less than a year. My second lot lasted until October last, about 1.5 years. As also mentioned in the forum, check the batteries sit tight. Honeywell did not do a good job with the battery boxes in their devices and it is common to have to slightly bend the contacts to get a better and tighter connection.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the replies, I have now moved the sensor a metre way from the BDR91's and I am seeing an excellent signal hopefully this will solve this issue if not I will get onto Honeywell.

Automated Home Lurker

Update the sensor has continued to loose comms, so after a discussion with Honeywell I am relocating the BDR out of the airing cupboard and into the hall coat cupboard. This hopefully will put paid to the loss of coms.

I have to say in all honesty knowing what I know now re the Evohome system I would be buying a Tado. Honeywell are getting seriously left behind on the wireless front.

Automated Home Legend

The Honeywell wifi guide suggests that Honeywell components should ideally be located 1M away from all other electrical equipment. Given that most BDRs etc are located for convenience near the cylinder; motorised valves; pump etc, then clearly 1M is just not possible. When my Evohome system was first installed, my installer said that he had located his two BDRs and Cs92 next to each other and he wasn't having any comms issues. My system was installed using the min distance of 300mms and, for the first 6 months, comms issues were a major annoyance. As I have mentioned before, I have had fewer comms issues with Evohome since one of the two BDRs in my airing cupboard was made redundant and an OT bridge was located close to the boiler.

Automated Home Jr Member

I had a TRV with batteries that failed after about a year - which I'm guessing is ok - and when I replaced they appeared to go flat within a week. Turns out that the metal connector that you unhook to replace had reacted with the batteries and had a coating of stuff on it preventing a good electrical connection. Took it off, stuck in a glass of vinegar overnight to clean and its all fine now. Think it was probably the original batteries that leaked, but worth checking this as well...