• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexsmith2k
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

CM12 Computer interface

I have jsut bought a CM12 computer interface and am trying to connect it to my computer.

I have plugged it in and put batteries in the controller, i have installed active home (included software) and run test communications on all the com ports 1 to 4 however they all fail.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: CM12 Computer interface

Try unplugging the CM12 from the mains take the batteries out and leave it for a few hours then try again. The batteries are only there for the backup of the internal clock.
    I assume the Active home software is running. And that the Active bridge is also running.
    Can you test your serial port with something else.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• danward79
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jul 2004

I had some games with mine, eventually It worked after rebooting, & restarting my software, etc.

Worth a shot.
      Cheers

Dan

Comment

• alexsmith2k
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2005

thanks for the replies,

I unplugged everything and started again, left batteries out over night.

Put batteries in connected up cables, plugged interface into mains, then plugged computer & switched and ran active home.

Tried the test connections and worked first time on com 1!

Preparing to automate my whole house now, jus not sure whether to invest my money in x10, evryone seems to rate cbus as being the "new technology" however at 500quid for 8 channels, compared to x10's 25 x 8 = 200 quid for 8 channels the price difference seems quite severe!!!

Comment

• Dino2020
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2006

My friend just bought a cm12 it has both usb and rs232 connections avilable.

He plugged it in via usb and installed some drivers, then called me when it didnt work.

Unstalled the inf files and so on, found a executbale install file on the marmitek site installed , this install the bridge.

If he then points active home to say com3 which the bridge has selected it says in use, if he closes down active home and changes the com to say 4 and trys again its in use.

If he unplugs the usb convertor end off the rs232 end and plugs the rs232 direct in to com 1 (the only one on the pc) it says in use

I read this thread and told him take batteries out and we did for an hour then tried again, same think, it always says cant open port or port in use or something like that.

only thing I didnt tell him to do was drop the speeds on com port 1 when he plugged it, do they need setting to 9600 8n1 and so on? if using rs232

Ideas please

Comment

• wacko-jacko
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2006

come on guys

help required

w-j

Comment

• davebuk
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Mar 2006

Have a look at: (http://www.letsautomate.com/10075.cfm?).

That might give you some more info?

Comment

• winkle
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Apr 2006

I'm guessing this isn't any help, but just in case - I've twice, on two different computers, had the annoying problem of the CM12 (serial, not USB version) apparently not working. On both occasions I have scratched my head and tried various things, all to no avail. The only thing that worked for me was the same thing as alexsmith2k a few posts earlier - complete uninstall and reinstall.

alexsmith2k - how did your install go?

And has anyone noticed that www.x10.co.uk seems to have died?

Comment

• jwball
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Apr 2006

I had a similar problem with a CM11, it wouldn't work correctly under USB but did under RS232.

Comment

Working...
                  X