Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going-to-bed-now mode for Evohome

Automated Home Jr Member

Amazon Alexa 'to come to Windows 10 PCs'

08/01/2018: Amazon's mission to make voice our primary way of communicating with machines continues at CES this week, with the tech giant reportedly set to offer Alexa on Windows 10 computers.

Manufacturers Lenovo, HP, Acer and Asus are all preparing to integrate Amazon's voice assistant on laptops and desktops they release this year running Windows 10, according to The Verge.

An app will be created this spring to let users bypass Windows 10's own Cortana assistant and use Amazon's instead, giving them access to information they could search for via Alexa on its mobile web interface and mobile apps, the publication claimed.
    http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-sys...crosoft-issues

Automated Home Legend

Hmm, is there some kind of outage between Amazon and Honeywell at the moment ? Can't re-link my account:

IMG_0473.jpg

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes, I noticed that the HoneyWell side of the service wasn't responding (affecting the mobile app and web app), but it seems to be online again.

Automated Home Legend

Got it working again. Since I last tried the Alexa integration a while ago it still seems to have the following shortcomings:

Still no ability to activate Day Off mode ? (My most used quick action)

Can't use Heating Off quick action, or cancel all quick actions back to normal heating on mode ? (At least I can't see how)

Can't specify an end time for a zone override, nor cancel a zone override - only set it to another override.

Can't create any custom scenes ?

Most of these things can be done with IFTTT inserted in between but that is rather cumbersome and adds another syntax to memorise. (As well as being a bit unreliable)

So, still very limited in appeal for me as the majority of things I do at the control panel can't be done by voice command. About the only useful feature is the groups - being able to say "Set downstairs to 5 degrees" before going to bed and having all zones change at once is about the only thing useful to me personally.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 8th January 2018 at 06:19 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    It will take 18 seconds instead of 6 (I just tried it ). Having watched Alexa in action the other day, it'll take longer to tell her what to do than do it .
    Does she listen? I tried Alexa some time back and other than successfully putting the radio on failed to understand anything. No, I donít have a strange accent! Siri I find more accurate but Siri wonít work Evohome.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Just the usual issues when some one is trying to do a demonstration. No response, or odd interpretation instructions.

Automated Home Jr Member philchillbill's Avatar

I use Alexa all the time to control all my Domoticz integrations via 3x echo dot2. I'd say she gets it right 90% of the time. A recent device-settings switch I made from UK English to US English made quite a positive difference to her understanding things and also made the communication more compact. Instead of saying "I say, Alexa old darling, would you perhaps be so kind as to turn on the lights in the pantry, old girl" I can now say "W'sup Alexa, pantry lights yo!" and it works just as well

Since my original post I've played with Domoticz JSON commands to the HGI80 through perl scripts launched via HA-bridge and Alexa - she thinks she's turning on a simple light switch (Hue) so she gets that right no problem. The beauty of having a real script running is that it can all be context-dependent so the temps or end-times I set can be smart (with the JSON control I can specify an ISO 8601 end-time for any heat-scenes I set, so no need to default to the next schedule point). The biggest bummer with the direct Honeywell/Alexa integration is that you cannot specify an end-time for a temperature change but this way I can. The syntax looks like this:

"http://192.168.178.2:8080/json.htm?type=setused&idx=106&setpoint=22.2&mode=T emporaryOverride&until=2018-01-08T21:00&used=true"

"http://192.168.178.2:8080/json.htm?type=setused&idx=106&mode=FollowSchedule& used=true"

(mode can be any of Auto, TemporaryOverride, PermanentOverride, FollowSchedule)

which is dead easy to code up in perl or python or whatever. I of course cannot specify the desired temperatures on the fly using voice so they have to be coded into the script but that's not a bother to me because I already know the temps I want in the scenes I will pre-program. I have a feeling this will be lots of fun
    Last edited by philchillbill; 9th January 2018 at 10:03 AM.

Automated Home Legend

Perhaps I should give Alexa another try? Amazon possibly have improved it’s responsiveness. When I got it about a year ago I found it next to useless. If though Evohome would work through HomeKit then we could use Siri. What we don’t want is a multitude of voice operated systems in one home - Alexa, Siri, Apple’s forthcoming device etc. We just need one that does it all. Unless I am mistaken, we don’t have that yet. Siri also was no so good in the early days, better now. I did once ask Siri where a particular part of my anatomy is and she told me it was two doors away in the house of a neighbour!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Warning. This is a bit sweary. but very funny.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

How rude. This is a bit more wholesome.

Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)