• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by MrBoy View Post
    If you want to pay the sticker price like a mug, fine. But part of offering a good customer experience is offering a dialog with the customer... If they place a large order and ask for a discount, you'd likely consider it. Often, the reason you don't get a discount on a website purchase is just the site isn't flexible... If you phone up they will price match another site it be able to offer a better deal.
    High street stores will haggle sometimes, if you're buying plumbing fittings in your trade store people ask for a discount as a matter of course.

Let's say they are selling 4xhr92 on a deal and I want 7 units. The website will make me select a 4 pack and 3 individual units. This could cost as much as 2 4 packs with the discount so if I phoned up I'd ask to get the multipath unit price X 7. That's what I mean by bespoke price... A reasonable flexibility not giving the seller.

It's never harmful to ask for a discount, they can always say no.

And my mum used to haggle in Tesco. "This tin is a bit dented can you reduce it?" Etc... We used to be embarrassed but it worked.
    I think you over estimate the value your small one off order will be worth once you factor in the ball ache.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• MrBoy
      Automated Home Guru
      • May 2017

Indeed, rather a stupid path of we're going to suggest restaurant culture and shopping culture are the same. In the UK tipping is optional, in the US it is expected, in Finland they consider it rude.

If you're dealing face to face with the seller, negotiating price is part of the relationship. If you are placing an order for a whole house and there is no bundle deal matching what you've bought but there are other bundle deals you'd be daft not to ask. "You have a bundle deal on the controller, 8 HR92 and hot water kit... But I don't need the hot water kit, can you do me a similar kind of deal?" Or "if rather have HR91, can I swap those into the bundle deal you're offering?"
      Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
      I think you over estimate the value your small one off order will be worth once you factor in the ball ache.
      that's the precisely the kind of arrogant seller experience people are put off by that means they would prefer to shop at EHS where they're not treated badly for their small order. A good seller points the ball ache of helping their customers even if it's only a small sale.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Jun 2012

There's helping (as in product support and choice) and there's making the sale pointless.

You're reminding me of an estate that called yesterday....

"xx Smith Street has no hot water"

"Ok, we can be there Wednesday afternoon"

" can't you come sooner?"

"no."

What I wanted to say is :

"if I could come sooner, I would have said sooner, do think we pluck dates out of our backsides?"
        Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• MrBoy
          Automated Home Guru
          • May 2017

And if he'd offered you a grand you still couldn't have come sooner?

I'm not sure me fitting out a house with 15 TRVs, a dozen valves and the EvoHome controller would be counted as a small order either for that matter.

But when I went into Richer Sounds the other day I had about an hour of a guys time helping me even though I made it clear I was after fairly low end surround sound and hifi equipment. He talked me through it and set up a listening room. He swapped one unit for an equivalent from another manufacturer in a bundle deal.
          And then even though I'd gone in the new year sale, when I simply asked "can you do me any further discount" he immediately knocked some off and then went a bit lower. No affront, no pushy attempts from me just a polite back and forth.

So it's always worth asking if you're buying more than a couple of bits. Sure if you just want one HR92 it's unlikely unless you've previously bought 10... Again that's about a relationship of being a returning customer.

Anyway... From this thread it seems everyone buys from EHS. Which is all I was interested in.

Comment

• fergie
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Mar 2017

I’m told that there actually isn’t much of a margin on evohome...

For what it’s worth I got an acquaintance to arrange a large order for me via one of the National plumbers merchants. Didn’t say much, but made it worthwhile for all parties. I also negotiated over my boiler installation, but didn’t push it as I didn’t want to sacrifice quality. It suited the company as we agreed they could use it for reviews etc.

In regard to ‘haggling’ it depends what I’m buying and where from. If I know there is a decent margin and I’m spending a bit, I’ll often ask what they can do. If it were a restaurant I would definitely ask if it’s for a large group.

Likewise for damaged goods or ex display. For example B&Q were selling an ex display pressure washer. Retail 60-100, they were asking 50, I offered 30 and we agreed 40

As long as you are polite, the seller can only say no.

Comment

• MrBoy
              Automated Home Guru
              • May 2017

So I just priced up an identical order on EvoHomeShop and JTPlumbing. 8 HR92 units (2 packs of 4), one T87RF2033 (still unsure the difference between this and the DTS92), and 9 sets of radiator valve bodies.

JT: £613
              EHS: £729

EHS do have a great offer on right now which is better than JT, but only if you want that exact configuration as they can't tailor it (I asked)... you can buy a controller kit + 8xHR92 for £10 more than they sell 8xHR92 normally. A crazy deal but I already have a controller (unless I decide to have that 13th zone after all

Plus EHS don't do free delivery even spending the best part of a grand, the tight gits
              Last edited by MrBoy; 11 January 2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• fergie
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Mar 2017

Could always buy the EHS deal and then sell the controller separately?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

EHS used to do free shipping for orders over £100 - is this no longer the case ? I made use of that on more than one occasion.

Comment

• MrBoy
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • May 2017

I'd expected it but no.

And yes that thought crossed my mind too

Comment

Working...
                    X