• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBoy
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2017

Where do you buy Evohome kit?

I got my base kit from EvoHomeShop due to a good deal, but apart from that I always seem to find JTPlumbing is cheaper. e.g. EHS are doing a special 16xHR92 deal but the per-unit price is slightly more than when just buying a 4-pack from JT.

Where do people buy their kit from? Does anywhere offer further discounts if you ask nicely or at least offer flexibility e.g. if I need 5 HR92s price them on the 4-pack price?
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

The good thing about Evohome Shop is that the owner is a regular contributor here, offering fantastic support. You won’t get that from a normal plumbing supplier.

Sometimes it's about more than just price....

Comment

• MrBoy
      Automated Home Guru
      • May 2017

So I can't get support here if I buy the exact same part from someone else? On that topic, I left a short question on a product on JT's website and got a friendly, helpful, thorough phone call shortly after advising me of various options.

Will EHS let me build my own bundle and give a bespoke price, or is it just "buy off the shelf"? Since I bought from them before it'd be easier but it's not a big deal.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Jun 2012

Why should you get a "bespoke price"?
        Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MrBoy View Post
          So I can't get support here if I buy the exact same part from someone else?
          Of course you can. I was just making the point that Richard is so much more than a typical box shifter.

P.

Comment

• darrendobson
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2015

Probably best to ask Richard himself with a list of what you want and he would give you a price.

Don't really know what you mean by flexibility. Just sounds like you want something for free lol

Comment

• TomJ
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jan 2018

If you don't need any service at all. I got my HR92s from amazon in Germany. Cheapest I could find a week ago, 4xHR92s @ 210 euro incl shipping.

Comment

• Hoppy
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Nov 2017

Bought all mine from EvohomeShop, was a little bit cheaper elsewhere, but not that much in it and they were helpful on the phone when I was doing the research and I used their website for info ie deciding which donor TRVs to buy for my new central heating system. Also like to think that I could phone them up at any time and get help with any issues when I CBA reading the manual or doing my own diagnostics. I had some Comms problems a few weeks after purchase and they sorted it out in a few mins without me having to faff about interpreting the instruction book. At the end of the day, No1 priority is you just want your central heating to work NOW, all the other flowery stuff is just for shizzles, they did that for me in a few mins over the phone.
                Last edited by Hoppy; 8 January 2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• MrBoy
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by darrendobson View Post
                  Probably best to ask Richard himself with a list of what you want and he would give you a price.

Don't really know what you mean by flexibility. Just sounds like you want something for free lol
                  it means I'm after a good deal. Always haggle...

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Jun 2012

Do you haggle in Tesco?
                    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
                      Do you haggle in Tesco?
                      There is a school of thought that haggling ends up putting the price up for everybody else and reduces the quality of the service you would otherwise get. Perhaps one should try haggling over the price of the meal in a restaurant before ordering and see what level of service one then gets! There are exceptions of course, when some charge way over the top, but most don’t. If you want the service and the support then businesses run like Richard’s are invaluable.

Comment

• MrBoy
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • May 2017

If you want to pay the sticker price like a mug, fine. But part of offering a good customer experience is offering a dialog with the customer... If they place a large order and ask for a discount, you'd likely consider it. Often, the reason you don't get a discount on a website purchase is just the site isn't flexible... If you phone up they will price match another site it be able to offer a better deal.
                        High street stores will haggle sometimes, if you're buying plumbing fittings in your trade store people ask for a discount as a matter of course.

Let's say they are selling 4xhr92 on a deal and I want 7 units. The website will make me select a 4 pack and 3 individual units. This could cost as much as 2 4 packs with the discount so if I phoned up I'd ask to get the multipath unit price X 7. That's what I mean by bespoke price... A reasonable flexibility not giving the seller.

It's never harmful to ask for a discount, they can always say no.

And my mum used to haggle in Tesco. "This tin is a bit dented can you reduce it?" Etc... We used to be embarrassed but it worked.

Comment

• MrBoy
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • May 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                          There is a school of thought that haggling ends up putting the price up for everybody else and reduces the quality of the service you would otherwise get. .
                          that's a school of thought put over by people trying to maximise their profits... Intimidate customers not to ask. There was a recent car advert "you don't need to haggle, we've already cut the price" - yeah, sure. If you ask politely the seller is not going to be offended they'll either say yes or no. Different countries and different sectors have different cultures.

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

I must try haggling next time I go out for a meal. Mind you I do object to a restaurant adding a surcharge. I don’t haggle, I just say “no”.

This is heading off down a non related path methinks!

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

To get it back on track, some sellers do offer good product support and some do not. My experience of Evohome is that Honeywell offers excellent support - particularly, in situations where the installer is having difficulties in finding the fault and fixing problems. I have had similar experiences with AVM (Fritz!Box); Sonos and Apple. Problems have been sorted out quickly without recourse to the seller. In AVM's case, they replaced my modem/router 4 1/2 years after I purchased it.

To get back on to a non-related path again. I have just purchased a replacement Fritz!Box from a Spanish source for £70 less than the UK price knowing that the manufacturer will honour the 5 year warranty if the seller does not.

Comment

Working...
                              X