Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connected Evohome - Clock Accuracy Poor

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Internet Connected Evohome - Clock Accuracy Poor

I know this is mentioned in many other generic threads but can't we have a fix that sets the Evohome system clock spot on every week or 24hrs?

My one at present is over one minute out and the unit defiantly has a working internet connection as the Android app controls it okay.

So in the next firmware update can it please include a fix for a pool of Network Time Protocol servers e.g. http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/uk

Obviously not a high priority but every other device in the home knows what the correct time is.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Can honestly say I have never noticed or cared that my Evo is 50 seconds out. LOL Nice to know there are people out there with so little in life to worry about
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    Can honestly say I have never noticed or cared that my Evo is 50 seconds out. LOL Nice to know there are people out there with so little in life to worry about
    I tend to agree with Dan. Does it really matter? Do we need to be obsessed with accuracy? I am from the era when one’s watches and clocks were often fast or slow. Also I find different devices accessing the internet come up with different times for things like sunset and sunrise. I am using SmartThings, iConnectHue and LightwaveRF all of which can be set to operate at sunrise and sunset and they don’t do so at the same time. Indeed, LighwaveRF has no idea what dusk and dawn is and they are far more useful to have as settings than sunset and sunrise.

I live with the fact my heating comes on a few minutes early.

However, we should not forget that Honeywell are one of the major players, if not the major one, in control systems around the world, in aircraft I believe and many other commercial operations where accuracy is crucial. Strange therefore to have this error. Perhaps they simply have a different approach to domestic users and what they think their demands are, than to commercial users.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I wouldn't bother if it was less than a minute out, but I've seen mine drift by as much as 4 minutes.

Given that the default standby display has a bloody great digital clock in the middle of it, I'd prefer that clock to be telling the right time!

Automated Home Legend

In a world with internet connected devices, I guess there is no longer an excuse for an incorrect clock. Does it bother me, no. But would I like it to be correct, yes. Even my oven doesn't drift as much as my Evohome.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I wouldn't bother if it was less than a minute out, but I've seen mine drift by as much as 4 minutes.

Given that the default standby display has a bloody great digital clock in the middle of it, I'd prefer that clock to be telling the right time!
    Personally I'm more worried about the bug that caused the clock to stop completely, which has happened to me 3 times in the last couple of years. It causes the schedule to completely stop at whatever point it is at until a reboot...

Automated Home Sr Member

After having the latest firmware for a few weeks, the clock is over one minute out so problem not fixed.

Still at least it tells me the outside temperature

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

It’s a prediction of what the outside temp will be in a minute's time.

Automated Home Legend

I wonder why it is that a company like Honeywell, with a world wide reputation for system controls, cannot ensure its clock is accurate? Is this also symptomatic of their approach to the domestic market generally, thinking people will not be bothered.? I listen to my heating firing up every morning nearly 3 minutes before the set time solely because the Control Panel time is always out by nearly that.

....and there is no a way to adjust for that 3 minutes!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    ....and there is no a way to adjust for that 3 minutes!
    Turn off the automatic time update and set the time manually yourself ? And tweak it from time to time like any manual clock ?