Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there ANY reason to favour a HR91 over an HR92 other than price?

Automated Home Guru

Default Is there ANY reason to favour a HR91 over an HR92 other than price?

If you can get both units for the same price, or didn't care about price one iota, are there any advantages to the HR91? It seems it's a newer unit but they left loads of features (mostly ones I don't understand or with slightly rude names) out, and shaved a few quid off the price. I could imagine battery life might be slightly better but is there anything it does better?

I'm about to order 8 units and at least 4 are going onto new Valencia bodies, so those could be either type as easily from what I've been reading.

Automated Home Legend

It's clearly designed to be a cheaper unit, probably targeted at systems with a lot of radiators to keep the costs down, or perhaps "public" systems like a community hall, office space etc, where you don't necessarily want the people in the building playing around with it, (less things to fiddle with with only two buttons and no display) so you can't really compare it ignoring the price as the price difference is the whole point of it.

After testing one the only positive thing I would say about it over the HR92 (aside from the obvious one - price) is that it does seem a bit quieter. But in every other way I feel it's a step backwards, including build quality.

It's definitely not the successor to the HR92 - it's designed to sit below it at a lower price point, and I think you get what you pay for. I'm sure its fine for many applications, but its not for me.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 11th January 2018 at 06:41 PM.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    It's clearly designed to be a cheaper unit, probably targeted at systems with a lot of radiators to keep the costs down, or perhaps "public" systems like a community hall, office space etc, where you don't necessarily want the people in the building playing around with it, (less things to fiddle with with only two buttons and no display) so you can't really compare it ignoring the price as the price difference is the whole point of it.

After testing one the only positive thing I would say about it over the HR92 (aside from the obvious one - price) is that it does seem a bit quieter. But in every other way I feel it's a step backwards, including build quality.

It's definitely not the successor to the HR92 - it's designed to sit below it at a lower price point, and I think you get what you pay for. I'm sure its fine for many applications, but its not for me.

Intersting you say that. The houses I've just installed a load into are worth several millions each and HR91's were chosen over the HR92 because they were more appealing. Price was not an issue.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Ninja

From the prices I’ve seen the HR91s aren’t any cheaper to warrant purchasing them? I think there’s £10 in it on theevohomeshop. However I suspect that if I asked my supplier they’d be the same price.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Simon, when you talk about build quality remember that the early devices we had were prototypes. For all we know the outer bodies might even have been 3D printed (proper 3D printing mind, not those noddy kits you see for a couple of hundred quid).

I suspect that the main production run will be more polished.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    From the prices I’ve seen the HR91s aren’t any cheaper to warrant purchasing them? I think there’s £10 in it on theevohomeshop. However I suspect that if I asked my supplier they’d be the same price.
    You could always get MrBoy to haggle for you....

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    You could always get MrBoy to haggle for you....
    I'm getting my HR92s cheap enough

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    I have 24 rads. £10 a head is a big difference!

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I have 24 rads. £10 a head is a big difference!
    £10 was on a pack of 4, not each.

Automated Home Guru

On EHS it's £40 difference on a pack of 4. However if you buy a 16 pack of HR92 and 4x4 packs of HR91 the unit price is the same at £50. I've not seen anywhere really tout the 91, maybe they just haven't taken off.