Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Is there ANY reason to favour a HR91 over an HR92 other than price?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Automated Home Guru
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    125

    Default Is there ANY reason to favour a HR91 over an HR92 other than price?

    If you can get both units for the same price, or didn't care about price one iota, are there any advantages to the HR91? It seems it's a newer unit but they left loads of features (mostly ones I don't understand or with slightly rude names) out, and shaved a few quid off the price. I could imagine battery life might be slightly better but is there anything it does better?

    I'm about to order 8 units and at least 4 are going onto new Valencia bodies, so those could be either type as easily from what I've been reading.

  2. #2
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    It's clearly designed to be a cheaper unit, probably targeted at systems with a lot of radiators to keep the costs down, or perhaps "public" systems like a community hall, office space etc, where you don't necessarily want the people in the building playing around with it, (less things to fiddle with with only two buttons and no display) so you can't really compare it ignoring the price as the price difference is the whole point of it.

    After testing one the only positive thing I would say about it over the HR92 (aside from the obvious one - price) is that it does seem a bit quieter. But in every other way I feel it's a step backwards, including build quality.

    It's definitely not the successor to the HR92 - it's designed to sit below it at a lower price point, and I think you get what you pay for. I'm sure its fine for many applications, but its not for me.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 11th January 2018 at 07:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    It's clearly designed to be a cheaper unit, probably targeted at systems with a lot of radiators to keep the costs down, or perhaps "public" systems like a community hall, office space etc, where you don't necessarily want the people in the building playing around with it, (less things to fiddle with with only two buttons and no display) so you can't really compare it ignoring the price as the price difference is the whole point of it.

    After testing one the only positive thing I would say about it over the HR92 (aside from the obvious one - price) is that it does seem a bit quieter. But in every other way I feel it's a step backwards, including build quality.

    It's definitely not the successor to the HR92 - it's designed to sit below it at a lower price point, and I think you get what you pay for. I'm sure its fine for many applications, but its not for me.


    Intersting you say that. The houses I've just installed a load into are worth several millions each and HR91's were chosen over the HR92 because they were more appealing. Price was not an issue.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

  4. #4
    Automated Home Ninja
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    295

    Default

    From the prices Iíve seen the HR91s arenít any cheaper to warrant purchasing them? I think thereís £10 in it on theevohomeshop. However I suspect that if I asked my supplier theyíd be the same price.

  5. #5
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,594

    Default

    Simon, when you talk about build quality remember that the early devices we had were prototypes. For all we know the outer bodies might even have been 3D printed (proper 3D printing mind, not those noddy kits you see for a couple of hundred quid).

    I suspect that the main production run will be more polished.

  6. #6
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Simon, when you talk about build quality remember that the early devices we had were prototypes. For all we know the outer bodies might even have been 3D printed (proper 3D printing mind, not those noddy kits you see for a couple of hundred quid).

    I suspect that the main production run will be more polished.
    Fair point, but I'm not about to buy a retail one to satisfy my curiosity when I've already established that they don't play nice with my valve bodies. (Or at least the prototype didn't) I also already have HR92's on all my radiators now, except for one radiator that has been removed a year ago and not replaced - but when I replace that radiator I'll just get one more HR92, it wouldn't make sense to put something different there for the sake of a tenner.

    As I said in my previous post I'm sure they work fine for many people and many applications, but I wanted to make sure people were aware that a number of significant features of the HR92 are missing like the stroke setting that some may rely on for their valve bodies to work properly, and that was certainly the case for my valves.

    They're not just an HR92 with the screen removed, they're a completely different design with different strengths (mainly quietness and cost IMO) and weaknesses.

    I try to be as impartial as possible especially when giving an opinion about something - if I like something I will say so and praise it but I'm not afraid to say I don't like something or point out any shortcomings I perceive with it either.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 12th January 2018 at 10:21 AM.

  7. #7
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    From the prices I’ve seen the HR91s aren’t any cheaper to warrant purchasing them? I think there’s £10 in it on theevohomeshop. However I suspect that if I asked my supplier they’d be the same price.
    You could always get MrBoy to haggle for you....

  8. #8
    Automated Home Ninja
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    You could always get MrBoy to haggle for you....
    I'm getting my HR92s cheap enough

  9. #9
    Automated Home Ninja
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    From the prices I’ve seen the HR91s aren’t any cheaper to warrant purchasing them? I think there’s £10 in it on theevohomeshop. However I suspect that if I asked my supplier they’d be the same price.
    I have 24 rads. £10 a head is a big difference!

  10. #10
    Automated Home Ninja
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I have 24 rads. £10 a head is a big difference!
    £10 was on a pack of 4, not each.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •