• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timgp
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2017

Issue with one HR92 in a multiple-actuator room

This is my final Evohome commissioning issue. Everything else is working really well.

I have one room which has three identical radiators, and three HR92s. I have one of the HR92s set as the temperature sensor and all three bound as actuators.

Try as I might, whenever the circuit is hot, one of the radiators heats up (incorrect) while the other two remain cold (correct). I have tried deleting the zone and rebinding a number of times without luck.

I thought I had solved it this evening when I noticed that the misbehaving TRV head was unlocked, so following the manual I:
    - Removed the head
    - Turned the black wheel anti-clockwise until is stopped
    - Replaced the head
    - Locked it, shortly after which it CYCLed

With this done, I deleted the zone, waited a while for all TRVs to clear and then recreated the zone.

At zone creation, I bound one radiator as the sensor, then pressed green tick to add more, put the other two into binding mode and then press bind on the controller. The screen said 3 actuators bound 2 way.

Unfortunately, the radiator is still hot when it shouldn't be.

The other observation with that radiators is that pressing the button for 5s to enter the menu doesn't result in the menu being show, the head shows 'Binding' instead.

Please help!
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

Could be a faulty valve body.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• dty
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Aug 2016

Getting into the settings menu (rather than the binding menu) requires that you start with either the backlight on or the zone name displayed - I forget which. So you need to press the button once, then press and hold.

Check the settings menu (setting 10) to see what the HR92 thinks the valve position is. It should be 0. If so, you have a faulty valve. If not, something else is wrong. Have you fully cleared the binfings on the HR92 (not just reset with menu option 12 - that doesn’t reset the bindings)?

Comment

• timgp
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by dty View Post
        Check the settings menu (setting 10) to see what the HR92 thinks the valve position is. It should be 0. If so, you have a faulty valve. If not, something else is wrong. Have you fully cleared the binfings on the HR92 (not just reset with menu option 12 - that doesn’t reset the bindings)?
        From reading other posts, I thought the way to reset the binding was to delete the zone. Happy to be advised otherwise.

Also, I can't currently get to the settings menu, it just says binding instead.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Try removing the head and manually opening the black wheel on the suspect rads, and see if they get hot.

Could even be an air-lock if you've recently drained the system down.

P.

Comment

• timgp
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2017

The problem is the radiator stays hot. Just reread the installation manual which says “set full stroke mode if appropriate” for the symptom radiator stays hot.

Comment

• dty
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by timgp View Post
              From reading other posts, I thought the way to reset the binding was to delete the zone. Happy to be advised otherwise.

Also, I can't currently get to the settings menu, it just says binding instead.
              Did you read the first half of my post about how to get into the settings menu instead of the binding menu?

For an HR92 (which can only have a single binding, unlike a BDR91), deleting the zone and rebinding the HR92 to the new zone is probably enough. But it won’t hurt to clear the bindings too. You’d have to look online to see how it’s done because I can’t remember.

But more likely is a hydraulic problem than an electronic one, I’d suggest.

Is the black disk thing sitting tightly on the valve body. Is the HR92 sitting properly on the disc. Does the radiator turn off if you turn the disc fully clockwise by hand. Try the stoke setting. Double-check the reported valve position is actually 0.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by dty View Post
                Did you read the first half of my post about how to get into the settings menu instead of the binding menu?

For an HR92 (which can only have a single binding, unlike a BDR91), deleting the zone and rebinding the HR92 to the new zone is probably enough. But it won’t hurt to clear the bindings too. You’d have to look online to see how it’s done because I can’t remember.

But more likely is a hydraulic problem than an electronic one, I’d suggest.

Is the black disk thing sitting tightly on the valve body. Is the HR92 sitting properly on the disc. Does the radiator turn off if you turn the disc fully clockwise by hand. Try the stoke setting. Double-check the reported valve position is actually 0.
                Resetting the options menu doesn't clear the binding. That is done in the binding menu.
                Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• timgp
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Oct 2017

Thanks for pointing out the subtlety of main menu vs bind menu, I’ll try all of the above suggestions and report back.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Turn the HR92 in question to the "OFF" position, and confirm that you hear it winding down the pin. Immediately after turning it to OFF long press the button, go to option 10 and set it to 1 - this is the valve position from 0-100 with 0 being fully closed.

Ensure that it is either going down to zero then stopping, or has already reached zero.

Come back 30 minutes later and see if the radiator is still getting hot. (I'll assume there is enough demand from elsewhere in the house to keep the boiler on)

If it is, the problem is a mechanical problem, nothing to do with binding/comms etc. Most likely as already suggested is a problem with the valve body - either the pin is seizing up or the rubber seal inside is damaged and isn't sealing when the pin is pushed down.

You could try swapping one of the other two HR92's over and repeat the same test if you want to rule out a mechanical problem with the HR92.

As also mentioned setting stroke to 1 can help on stiff or problematic valves (I have to use it on some of mine) but this is usually a sign that the valve body is either not fully compatible or is not in good order if you need to use stroke 1, in which case replacing the valve body is probably the best long term course of action.
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 12 January 2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• timgp
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Oct 2017

Thanks all, working well now. Using full stroke. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X