Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HR92's: A rant

Automated Home Legend

I don’t have a physics degree but to pinch a quote I came across on another site, I must be Corgi qualified for I had Corgi toys to play with as a kid!

Seriously though, I found the best way to run Evohome is leave it alone. Install, bind, set schedules and don’t play with it. I had what I thought were issues when I first installed 3 years ago but when the itch to play subsided Evohome found itself and runs well with little interference unless I want to boost or reduce a zone manually. It just works and works extremely well. The only part that does not work for me is optimisation. In my case it does nothing useful.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    ...That's why Honeywell has at least four different room stats to choose from for use in zones where the HR92 sensing doesn't work well.
    Would someone mind listing the other room stats that work with Evohome? I've been looking at the Honeywell web site and can't see anything much there.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    Would someone mind listing the other room stats that work with Evohome? I've been looking at the Honeywell web site and can't see anything much there.
    T87RF2033 Single zone thermostat (the round one)
    DTS92 (the square one)
    HCF82 (sensor only)
    HCW82 (with temperature offset dial)

There may even be another one that's like the latter but with a traditional temperature dial. Can't remember the product code at the moment, or even if I just dreamed it!

LATER: Found it - HCW80. I know it works as a sensor but I think there's some debate over whether the dial functions.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 7th February 2019 at 03:36 PM.

Automated Home Legend

I always thought that doing away with the grill on the HR80 behind which is the temperature probe, was a step backwards on the HR92.
    I have used another HR80 I had around as a remote sensor. Works well provided you can hide it out of plain sight.

HCW80. I know it works as a sensor but I think there's some debate over whether the dial functions.
    Just bought one to test. Can confirm that the temp sensor works but the dial doesn’t, which is a shame.

However, if you can ignore this then it's probably the cheapest way to get an external temperature sensor for Evohome. There are loads on eBay, sometimes on their own but often as part of a kit. Just search for Honeywell wireless thermostat.

Automated Home Jr Member

D'oh! I could've told you that - I have one left over from a set that came with an HC60NG. I have reversed the temperature dial so as it appears to be blank, and used the locking pins so as it can't be adjusted. Works great as a sense-only device in Evohome.

Automated Home Sr Member

T87RF2033 Single zone thermostat (the round one)
    DTS92 (the square one)
    HCF82 (sensor only)
    HCW82 (with temperature offset dial)

There may even be another one that's like the latter but with a traditional temperature dial. Can't remember the product code at the moment, or even if I just dreamed it!

LATER: Found it - HCW80. I know it works as a sensor but I think there's some debate over whether the dial functions.
    Thanks for that - there doesn't seem to be one designed to sit on a flat surface but I see others use the T87RF and, presumably, just lay it down on its back. Maybe I could build a stand for one to make it look as if it's supposed to be where it is.

DTS92 Comes with a stand.

Still looks ugly, though!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    Thanks for that - there doesn't seem to be one designed to sit on a flat surface but I see others use the T87RF and, presumably, just lay it down on its back. Maybe I could build a stand for one to make it look as if it's supposed to be where it is.
    The T87RF does not need to be wall mounted. Mine is alongside me on a coffee table.

Automated Home Legend

Just bought one to test. Can confirm that the temp sensor works but the dial doesn’t, which is a shame.

However, if you can ignore this then it's probably the cheapest way to get an external temperature sensor for Evohome. There are loads on eBay, sometimes on their own but often as part of a kit. Just search for Honeywell wireless thermostat.
    Cheapest ? A quick search on ebay for the HCW80 and the cheapest I could find was £50 plus shipping with most around £58 or more. The DTS92E is also around £58 and is a better choice at the same price as it does actually have working controls and a display, as well as a stand mount option.