Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: HR92's: A rant

  1. #1
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    23

    Default HR92's: A rant

    I'm 100 miles from home, working away, and just received news that my toddler had pulled/knocked one of the HR92's in my house off the radiator valve leaving my daughters room with a radiator switched on fully and a distressed wife trying to sort out the situation. Now I'm not sure how much force a 14 month old can exert but I would expect not enough to rip a TRV off its body...not the case it seems

    For as long as I've had the Evohome system, I have been perplexed about Honeywell's choice of plastic screw versus metal which most other manufacturers (even in the smart heating arena) are using. Plastic on metal in a screw design just sounds like it should have been thrown out at the design phase but alas it wasn't. Not only that, but from what I can gather, said plastic part isn't available as a spare and as such a damaged screw section means a total replacement.

    Am I alone in my displeasure at this design? I can't be the only one who has suffered the loss of a HR92 due to accidental damage to the screw section - I imagine a decent knock with a vacuum or similar could cause such damage.

    And just to pick up on the spares issue - I would not mind so much paying for a replacement screw section, but I do have a problem when a £60 piece of kit is written off by damage to what must amount to pennies for the screw section. Having invested well over £1000 in my system, I expect some longevity, and that includes a) either being able to stand up to reasonable daily use (reasonable versus a "normal" TRV) or b) spare parts being available in the event of damage occurring.

    Rant over

  2. #2
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Ah, it seems The Evohome Shop now stock the spares which is great, I got my kit from there and they kindly sent me a replacement last time I had issues free of charge from one of their returns but at the time said Honeywell did not make them available as spares - glad to see that policy has changed and I can cope with seven quid rather than sixty.

    Rest of my rant stands however

  3. #3
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,003

    Default

    This was another reason I thought the HR92 was a step backwards from the HR80. All the parts that touched the TRV in the HR80 are metal. Also there are no pivoting screen etc to be worried about.

  4. #4
    Site Sponsor The EVOHOME Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Powys, Mid Wales
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
    Ah, it seems The Evohome Shop now stock the spares which is great, I got my kit from there and they kindly sent me a replacement last time I had issues free of charge from one of their returns but at the time said Honeywell did not make them available as spares - glad to see that policy has changed and I can cope with seven quid rather than sixty.

    Rest of my rant stands however
    These may help also - https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywe...ontroller.html

  5. #5
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Does anyone else see Cybermen? or is it just my stupid brain?

  6. #6
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    More seriously, won't that interfere with the heat sensing ability of the HR92?

    I'm guessing these are probably best used with a wall stat.

  7. #7
    Site Sponsor The EVOHOME Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Powys, Mid Wales
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    More seriously, won't that interfere with the heat sensing ability of the HR92?
    Honeywell designed and tested them, so I assume not...

    More like a storm trooper helmet in my eyes lol!

  8. #8
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    More seriously, won't that interfere with the heat sensing ability of the HR92?

    I'm guessing these are probably best used with a wall stat.
    Where is the temperature sensor inside the HR92 ? I've had one apart to repair a detached screen but I don't remember how it is laid out or whether there is a vent that would allow airflow through the the casing past a sensor.

    I also vaguely remember reading a datasheet back before I had evohome saying that the HR92 had two temperature sensors in it! But when I have looked recently I can't find any documents saying anything to this effect...

  9. #9
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    I remember Rameses saying the temperature sensing was designed to measure updraught.

    or rather, I /think/ I remember that!

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor The EVOHOME Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Powys, Mid Wales
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Where is the temperature sensor inside the HR92 ? I've had one apart to repair a detached screen but I don't remember how it is laid out or whether there is a vent that would allow airflow through the the casing past a sensor.

    I also vaguely remember reading a datasheet back before I had evohome saying that the HR92 had two temperature sensors in it! But when I have looked recently I can't find any documents saying anything to this effect...
    I believe one is mounted on the back of the screen on the HR92 (may also have one on the PCB) and deffo PCB mounted on the HR91 (as it has no screen lol)...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •