Thread: Dodgy battery connection

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Dodgy battery connection

Is anyone else plagued with a really poor battery connection on the wifi model? I've tried cleaning the contacts, poking/raising them up a bit to give a better contact, but it's still really poor. I've even tried a multitude of different batteries but it doesn't really help much!

Not sure what else to do, other than put a little blob of solder on the positive terminal...

Contact Honeywell about this and they may replace the unit if it is due to the plating of the terminals...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Is anyone else plagued with a really poor battery connection on the wifi model? I've tried cleaning the contacts, poking/raising them up a bit to give a better contact, but it's still really poor. I've even tried a multitude of different batteries but it doesn't really help much!

Not sure what else to do, other than put a little blob of solder on the positive terminal...
    I ended up using a bent paperclip when the terminal snapped during battery replacement. Honeywell sent me a replacement.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Kit Kat wrapper
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    Kit Kat wrapper
    in my case I used a bit of silver foil and then "upgraded" to the bent paperclip. Didn't realise Honeywell would replace the unit

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    in my case I used a bit of silver foil and then "upgraded" to the bent paperclip. Didn't realise Honeywell would replace the unit
    Not the unit - sadly - the clip. It is a simple pull out/push in metal clip worth about 5p on FleaBay.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post

If you're talking about the positive battery spring then yes, I've had this problem.

I posted about it here with photos a while ago but can't find the thread now. (I think my hosted image links are dead anyway, thanks Dropbox....!)

The problems I found were:

1) The positive terminal was slightly oxidised and black - not sure how or why, the battery wasn't leaking.
    2) The "spring" terminal was squashed completely flat, and it sits quite a long way below the plastic shoulders either side of it. This means that with most batteries the battery actually comes to rest on the plastic shoulders before there is sufficient force on the actual contact! The depth of recess behind the plastic shoulders is a design flaw IMHO, and isn't surprising given that the battery terminals are also poorly designed and flimsy in the HR92's and CS92A's. (Whoever designed the battery terminals in all the Evohome kit really needs to be fired. There, I said it )

Mine was out of warranty by then so my solution was to carefully scrape the corrosion off with a craft knife then very carefully grab the centre of the spring with a small screwdriver and stretch it out slightly so that it more resembles a spring contact instead of being completely flat! I was only able to stretch it out about half a millimetre but that was enough to get a reliable connection. Over a year later and it's still connecting reliably and I'm still on the original batteries.