• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulB
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2015

Dodgy battery connection

Is anyone else plagued with a really poor battery connection on the wifi model? I've tried cleaning the contacts, poking/raising them up a bit to give a better contact, but it's still really poor. I've even tried a multitude of different batteries but it doesn't really help much!

Not sure what else to do, other than put a little blob of solder on the positive terminal...
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Contact Honeywell about this and they may replace the unit if it is due to the plating of the terminals...

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
      Is anyone else plagued with a really poor battery connection on the wifi model? I've tried cleaning the contacts, poking/raising them up a bit to give a better contact, but it's still really poor. I've even tried a multitude of different batteries but it doesn't really help much!

Not sure what else to do, other than put a little blob of solder on the positive terminal...
      I ended up using a bent paperclip when the terminal snapped during battery replacement. Honeywell sent me a replacement.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Jun 2012

Kit Kat wrapper
        Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• SteveP
          Automated Home Guru
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
          Kit Kat wrapper
          in my case I used a bit of silver foil and then "upgraded" to the bent paperclip. Didn't realise Honeywell would replace the unit

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
            in my case I used a bit of silver foil and then "upgraded" to the bent paperclip. Didn't realise Honeywell would replace the unit
            Not the unit - sadly - the clip. It is a simple pull out/push in metal clip worth about 5p on FleaBay.

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by PaulB View Post

If you're talking about the positive battery spring then yes, I've had this problem.

I posted about it here with photos a while ago but can't find the thread now. (I think my hosted image links are dead anyway, thanks Dropbox....!)

The problems I found were:

1) The positive terminal was slightly oxidised and black - not sure how or why, the battery wasn't leaking.
              2) The "spring" terminal was squashed completely flat, and it sits quite a long way below the plastic shoulders either side of it. This means that with most batteries the battery actually comes to rest on the plastic shoulders before there is sufficient force on the actual contact! The depth of recess behind the plastic shoulders is a design flaw IMHO, and isn't surprising given that the battery terminals are also poorly designed and flimsy in the HR92's and CS92A's. (Whoever designed the battery terminals in all the Evohome kit really needs to be fired. There, I said it )

Mine was out of warranty by then so my solution was to carefully scrape the corrosion off with a craft knife then very carefully grab the centre of the spring with a small screwdriver and stretch it out slightly so that it more resembles a spring contact instead of being completely flat! I was only able to stretch it out about half a millimetre but that was enough to get a reliable connection. Over a year later and it's still connecting reliably and I'm still on the original batteries.

Comment

Working...
              X