Thread: Basic Startup Questions

Default Basic Startup Questions

I currently have a Digisender pairing to transmit the signal from a DVD player and the NTL cable box to another TV via wireless.

At present the transmitter digisender has two SCART inputs - and I can select between them at the far end. This is a good thing.

The trouble is that my neighbour's WIFI mucks up the signal even when mine is switched off. Therefore I'd like to replace wireless with wired.

I have a limited amount of CAT5 around the house - and have it available near the source kit and the target TV.

What KAT5 kit do I need to replicate the Digisender configuration over CAT5? How do I get the remote control to work? I understand that NTL boxes use a non-standard signal.

Default Re: Basic Startup Questions

Quote Originally Posted by grmather
    I currently have a Digisender pairing to transmit the signal from a DVD player and the NTL cable box to another TV via wireless.

At present the transmitter digisender has two SCART inputs - and I can select between them at the far end. This is a good thing.

What KAT5 kit do I need to replicate the Digisender configuration over CAT5? How do I get the remote control to work? I understand that NTL
    boxes use a non-standard signal.
    KAT5 does not have any form of input switching but you can use any commercially available SCART switcher to route signals into KAT5.

You would need a KAT5 pair AVTX and AVRX.

My understanding is that *SOME* NTL boxes use non standard IR (IRDA) but others use normal 38kHz based IR. If your existing digisender is controlling the NTL box then there is a good possibility that it will work with KAT5.

As far as I know the models that use IRDA are Pace digital cable set-top box (STB) models 1000, 1010, 2000 and 4000, and Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4000DVB

The Pace 4001 cable box uses a standard RC5 based remote control as should work fine with KAT5.

If the IR doesnt work because you have an IRDA box, there is a device called "Red-Eye" which enables a normal remote control to operate the IRDA box. You cna see details of the Red-Eye on the LetsAutomate website http://www.letsautomate.com/11220.cfm?

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv