Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Evohome Opentherm Boiler decision and set up

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I don't understand why Intergas sells separate Combi / SB / OV boilers when the same kit does all three?

P.

OV models, like the Faillant 4 series leakoTecs are a UK only thing due to be our antiquated plumbing and general backward thinking.

The SB/combi thing is much the same as the motor industry. My van comes with 3 engine outputs. But it is purely software. Engine, gearbox, transmission, et Al are all the same.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    They do an offset flue kit to bring it to the center. The new model coming has a naturally centered flue.

The burner and fan also come off in one lump. No need for gaskets every time either .

Whereabouts are you?
    Yeah I thought the rep mentioned about the flue kit, at the time I was more interested in the Opentherm capabilities which he didn't even know it did. I wasn't keen that the expansion vessel was on the back either on the combis (Although I thought the old ones were on a swing out arm in the front). Least on a Vaillant (And others) you can easily change the vessel without having to take the boiler off the wall.

We're North West, I've personally not even serviced a Intergas boiler in our area. I think we've got two customers with them but i've not attended to the actual boilers. There's a lot of Worcester in our area and Baxi as they used to be manufactured at Bamber Bridge. So everyone knows them or someone who worked there.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Yeah I thought the rep mentioned about the flue kit, at the time I was more interested in the Opentherm capabilities which he didn't even know it did. I wasn't keen that the expansion vessel was on the back either on the combis (Although I thought the old ones were on a swing out arm in the front). Least on a Vaillant (And others) you can easily change the vessel without having to take the boiler off the wall.

We're North West, I've personally not even serviced a Intergas boiler in our area. I think we've got two customers with them but i've not attended to the actual boilers. There's a lot of Worcester in our area and Baxi as they used to be manufactured at Bamber Bridge. So everyone knows them or someone who worked there.
    The internal expansion vessel is a British thing. Most are too small for the application and an extra one should be added anyway. The Dutch just take it out of the equation and say fit an external one.

Then intergas vessel is part of the"backpack" which is only sold here AFAIK. I agree, a rear mounted vessel is stupid, and one of the reasons I don't fit the new Atag boilers.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    As you're Brighton based, there is a chap trading as "Fat Plumber" who is very good and acquainted with Intergas and Atag
    Thanks for the recommendation Dan. Simon the Fat Plumber popped round today for a look. Really nice bloke. Very knowledgeable.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi

Sorry for the hijack, but it's relevant and I think everyone who can answer is already on this thread.

I will soon have a mixed system with rads upstairs and in the living room (all fitted with HR92s) and the rest of the downstairs as one large wet UFH zone with either a T87RF2033 or the actual EvoHome controller as the 'sensor' (open to opinions on this by the way too )

I'm getting an Intergas ECO30RF boiler fitted.

How does OpenTherm come into this - in particular with regards to the UFH zone. The system has no idea this is an UFH zone - won't it just demand max heat output from the boiler for a very long time?

Automated Home Legend

UFH will be TPI regardless of OT. OT kicks boiler target to full if the room temperature in any zone is more than 1.5C away from the set point.

Automated Home Jr Member

Of course... Understood!

Automated Home Jr Member

Sorry, one more question. What is actually involved in switching to OpenTherm?

I have a Y plan system with two BDRs - one for heating demand, one for hot water.

Do I just unbind my heating BDR and then bind the OpenTherm receiver? How does the hot water demand work? Is that still done with the physical contact closure?

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by stevelup View Post

I have a Y plan system with two BDRs - one for heating demand, one for hot water.

Do I just unbind my heating BDR and then bind the OpenTherm receiver? How does the hot water demand work? Is that still done with the physical contact closure?
    No if you were leaving it as a Y Plan system you'd add the Opentherm controller as a Boiler Relay leaving the existing heating relay in place. You'd then have to disconnect the S/L to the boiler. When there is a HW demand the Opentherm should request full output to reheat your HW. The physical contact isn't used.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stevelup View Post

What is firing the boiler? It is the micro switches on the Zone Valve?