X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Actually, thinking about that, I'm not sure it would work as it would need two pumps.

P.

Comment

• fergie
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Mar 2017

I think the biggest questions are to do with the size of your home and whether you want heating always ‘on’.

In a larger home the smart controls are absolutely brilliant. My only slight gripe is to do with the way evohome asks for heat via OT (allowing user calibration would completely cure this).

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
        Actually, thinking about that, I'm not sure it would work as it would need two pumps.

P.

If you were thinking of using the domestic water side of the heat exchanger, you'd need a 9 metre head bronze or stainless pump..... Not cheap.
        Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Two pumps vs one pump and a 3 port valve. I guess it makes sense to stick with the latter. Shame that in System Boiler mode half of the heat exchanger isn't used, though.

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
            If you were thinking of using the domestic water side of the heat exchanger, you'd need a 9 metre head bronze or stainless pump..... Not cheap.
            Dan - I was just mulling over that comment.

You're suggesting that water passing through the DHW bit of the heat exchanger would need a more meaty pump than, say, the CH circulation. Did I understand that right?

Is that because there's more resistance / smaller bore on the HW bit of the heat exchanger? I'm guessing that must be the case, unless I've misunderstood something.

And if so, that begs the question of whether this limits the DHW flow rate when using the boiler as a combi, compared to a more conventional model with a diverter valve. ????

Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick here - probably!

You shouldn't post comments like that without explanation - it sets my brain off down twisty passages! ;-)

P.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2017

Haven't you thought about looking at Vaillant and Atag also? Not had any experience with Atag, but we've fitted a lot of Vaillants and so far i've been impressed with them. Although you'd have to get the VR33, however I can see this becoming available in the UK eventually now the boiler plus regulations are coming in. Can't comment on Intergas, but never so keen on the idea that one boiler can be a combi, open vent, or system boiler in one, I know Dan loves them though.

Comment

• rotor
                Automated Home Guru
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                Can't comment on Intergas, but never so keen on the idea that one boiler can be a combi, open vent, or system boiler in one, I know Dan loves them though.
                Would be keen to understand your thought process on this. I'm neither a plumber nor a heating expert, but just looking at the innards of various brands of boiler, the Intergas looks the simplest and the most solid.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

I don't understand why Intergas sells separate Combi / SB / OV boilers when the same kit does all three?

P.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by rotor View Post
                    Would be keen to understand your thought process on this. I'm neither a plumber nor a heating expert, but just looking at the innards of various brands of boiler, the Intergas looks the simplest and the most solid.
                    Personally I prefer boilers with the round burners and that's just my personal opinion. I think they're better from a maintenance point, the burner, fan, and gas valve can be removed in one to allow easy maintenance. Along with the fact different boiler manufactures have good and bad points on designs and along with their support engineers. I personally at the minute prefer to fit Vaillants.

I have no experience with Intergas as they are very few and far between in our area so can't comment on their reliability or good and negative points - all I know the rep was trying to sell me some once and even he was getting confused with their own offerings. Along with the fact their flues are off centre, so aren't always suitable for certain jobs. Least their pipes are in the right place unlike Alpha...but that's a different matter.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Jun 2012

Personally I prefer boilers with the round burners and that's just my personal opinion. I think they're better from a maintenance point, the burner, fan, and gas valve can be removed in one to allow easy maintenance. Along with the fact different boiler manufactures have good and bad points on designs and along with their support engineers. I personally at the minute prefer to fit Vaillants.

I have no experience with Intergas as they are very few and far between in our area so can't comment on their reliability or good and negative points - all I know the rep was trying to sell me some once and even he was getting confused with their own offerings. Along with the fact their flues are off centre, so aren't always suitable for certain jobs. Least their pipes are in the right place unlike Alpha...but that's a different matter.
                      They do an offset flue kit to bring it to the center. The new model coming has a naturally centered flue.

The burner and fan also come off in one lump. No need for gaskets every time either .

Whereabouts are you?

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                        I don't understand why Intergas sells separate Combi / SB / OV boilers when the same kit does all three?

P.

OV models, like the Faillant 4 series leakoTecs are a UK only thing due to be our antiquated plumbing and general backward thinking.

The SB/combi thing is much the same as the motor industry. My van comes with 3 engine outputs. But it is purely software. Engine, gearbox, transmission, et Al are all the same.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Mar 2017

They do an offset flue kit to bring it to the center. The new model coming has a naturally centered flue.

The burner and fan also come off in one lump. No need for gaskets every time either .

Whereabouts are you?
                          Yeah I thought the rep mentioned about the flue kit, at the time I was more interested in the Opentherm capabilities which he didn't even know it did. I wasn't keen that the expansion vessel was on the back either on the combis (Although I thought the old ones were on a swing out arm in the front). Least on a Vaillant (And others) you can easily change the vessel without having to take the boiler off the wall.

We're North West, I've personally not even serviced a Intergas boiler in our area. I think we've got two customers with them but i've not attended to the actual boilers. There's a lot of Worcester in our area and Baxi as they used to be manufactured at Bamber Bridge. So everyone knows them or someone who worked there.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Jun 2012

Yeah I thought the rep mentioned about the flue kit, at the time I was more interested in the Opentherm capabilities which he didn't even know it did. I wasn't keen that the expansion vessel was on the back either on the combis (Although I thought the old ones were on a swing out arm in the front). Least on a Vaillant (And others) you can easily change the vessel without having to take the boiler off the wall.

We're North West, I've personally not even serviced a Intergas boiler in our area. I think we've got two customers with them but i've not attended to the actual boilers. There's a lot of Worcester in our area and Baxi as they used to be manufactured at Bamber Bridge. So everyone knows them or someone who worked there.
                            The internal expansion vessel is a British thing. Most are too small for the application and an extra one should be added anyway. The Dutch just take it out of the equation and say fit an external one.

Then intergas vessel is part of the"backpack" which is only sold here AFAIK. I agree, a rear mounted vessel is stupid, and one of the reasons I don't fit the new Atag boilers.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

As you're Brighton based, there is a chap trading as "Fat Plumber" who is very good and acquainted with Intergas and Atag
                              Thanks for the recommendation Dan. Simon the Fat Plumber popped round today for a look. Really nice bloke. Very knowledgeable.

P.

Comment

• stevelup
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Mar 2015

Hi

Sorry for the hijack, but it's relevant and I think everyone who can answer is already on this thread.

I will soon have a mixed system with rads upstairs and in the living room (all fitted with HR92s) and the rest of the downstairs as one large wet UFH zone with either a T87RF2033 or the actual EvoHome controller as the 'sensor' (open to opinions on this by the way too )

I'm getting an Intergas ECO30RF boiler fitted.

How does OpenTherm come into this - in particular with regards to the UFH zone. The system has no idea this is an UFH zone - won't it just demand max heat output from the boiler for a very long time?

Comment

Working...
                                X