Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome Opentherm Boiler decision and set up

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fergie View Post
    I may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 22, but I believe the ‘intergas fix’ is to wire the OT into CH only and the water supply via a BD91 to the combi side. This way the boiler knows what it’s heating and / or CH max can be set on the boiler.

My installer thinks this would work on the Atag too so may explore it at service time, but would prefer Honeywell to add control via evohome!
    This is how my Atag is connected. The BDR opens the HW zone valve that closes the CH inline valve. The Atag installation guide mentions the need for a diverter valve. TSet Max can be set on the boiler but manual CH maximum control is inoperative under Opentherm control.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fergie View Post
    I may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 22, but I believe the ‘intergas fix’ is to wire the OT into CH only and the water supply via a BD91 to the combi side. This way the boiler knows what it’s heating and / or CH max can be set on the boiler.

My installer thinks this would work on the Atag too so may explore it at service time, but would prefer Honeywell to add control via evohome!
    Think you got to 32 there dude. The issue was always as Blowlamp described.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Jr Member

Two things today... I've been in touch with my heating engineer who is going to contact ATag about their accreditation which I am chuffed about. Although reading the last page, seems he may have to commit beyond that to an area??? If that's the case I'll have to rethink this...

Secondly I have Honeywell coming back to me with a wiring circuit for an optimal opentherm set up, S plan with the zone valve on the HW but also an enhancement on the CH side, rather than being wide open with no zone valve as shown in the guide... Fitting a normally open zone valve which closes upon HW request. Pretty simple and probably minimal benefit, but a bit of fine tuning nevertheless which should aid HW heat up

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Did we ever come to a conclusion as to the best boiler to go for, currently? As part of a kitchen revamp I'm tempted to replace our ancient (and badly kettling) floor standing Potterton with something smaller, just to regain some space in the huge cupboard where it sits. System is S-plan, open vent. And it currently sucks loads of air in so gurgles a lot!

But the matrix of what works and what doesn't, especially when Opentherm is involved, as still as confusing as ever. Intergas is tempting... And maybe switching from open vent to avoid that gurgling!

If only one of the knowledgeable installers here in the forums was local!

P.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

As you're Brighton based, there is a chap trading as "Fat Plumber" who is very good and acquainted with Intergas and Atag (although possibly only the original A and Q series boilers).

If you plan far enough ahead and SWMBO is on her summer travels, my dad lives near Herstmonceux and would enjoy his youngest coming to stay for a few days I'm sure
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

ooooh. Now there's a thought....

P.

Automated Home Lurker

And it currently sucks loads of air in so gurgles a lot!

If only one of the knowledgeable installers here in the forums was local!

P.[/QUOTE]

The gurgling is probably due to the condensate drain being blocked ... but if you are replacing with a nice new condensing boiler then who cares?
    The current favourite boiler for open vent heat banks is the Vaillant Eco Plus heat only... not sure if that type is relevant for you? Apart from heat banks and eco-heating I can't claim to be at all knowledgeable but I am local to Brighton.

No condensate on such an ancient boiler.

The gurgling is due to air being sucked in from the open vent.

The main requirement is for a boiler that plays nicely with Evohome, especially using Opentherm.

Automated Home Guru

Really keen to hear what you decide on, Paul. I'm very far from convinced that Opentherm is worth all the extra hassle and restrictions on model choice.

Intergas is tempting me at the moment. I like the way CH and DHW are split. I'm tempted to stick with stored hot water (vented) but move to an unvented heating loop (combi-style), which I think the Intergas would allow me to do.

Unless anyone can think of a good reason not?

P.