Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome Opentherm Boiler decision and set up

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Actually, thinking about that, I'm not sure it would work as it would need two pumps.

P.

Automated Home Sr Member

I think the biggest questions are to do with the size of your home and whether you want heating always ‘on’.

In a larger home the smart controls are absolutely brilliant. My only slight gripe is to do with the way evohome asks for heat via OT (allowing user calibration would completely cure this).

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Actually, thinking about that, I'm not sure it would work as it would need two pumps.

P.

If you were thinking of using the domestic water side of the heat exchanger, you'd need a 9 metre head bronze or stainless pump..... Not cheap.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Two pumps vs one pump and a 3 port valve. I guess it makes sense to stick with the latter. Shame that in System Boiler mode half of the heat exchanger isn't used, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    If you were thinking of using the domestic water side of the heat exchanger, you'd need a 9 metre head bronze or stainless pump..... Not cheap.
    Dan - I was just mulling over that comment.

You're suggesting that water passing through the DHW bit of the heat exchanger would need a more meaty pump than, say, the CH circulation. Did I understand that right?

Is that because there's more resistance / smaller bore on the HW bit of the heat exchanger? I'm guessing that must be the case, unless I've misunderstood something.

And if so, that begs the question of whether this limits the DHW flow rate when using the boiler as a combi, compared to a more conventional model with a diverter valve. ????

Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick here - probably!

You shouldn't post comments like that without explanation - it sets my brain off down twisty passages! ;-)

P.

Automated Home Ninja

Haven't you thought about looking at Vaillant and Atag also? Not had any experience with Atag, but we've fitted a lot of Vaillants and so far i've been impressed with them. Although you'd have to get the VR33, however I can see this becoming available in the UK eventually now the boiler plus regulations are coming in. Can't comment on Intergas, but never so keen on the idea that one boiler can be a combi, open vent, or system boiler in one, I know Dan loves them though.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Can't comment on Intergas, but never so keen on the idea that one boiler can be a combi, open vent, or system boiler in one, I know Dan loves them though.
    Would be keen to understand your thought process on this. I'm neither a plumber nor a heating expert, but just looking at the innards of various brands of boiler, the Intergas looks the simplest and the most solid.

I don't understand why Intergas sells separate Combi / SB / OV boilers when the same kit does all three?

P.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rotor View Post
    Would be keen to understand your thought process on this. I'm neither a plumber nor a heating expert, but just looking at the innards of various brands of boiler, the Intergas looks the simplest and the most solid.
    Personally I prefer boilers with the round burners and that's just my personal opinion. I think they're better from a maintenance point, the burner, fan, and gas valve can be removed in one to allow easy maintenance. Along with the fact different boiler manufactures have good and bad points on designs and along with their support engineers. I personally at the minute prefer to fit Vaillants.

I have no experience with Intergas as they are very few and far between in our area so can't comment on their reliability or good and negative points - all I know the rep was trying to sell me some once and even he was getting confused with their own offerings. Along with the fact their flues are off centre, so aren't always suitable for certain jobs. Least their pipes are in the right place unlike Alpha...but that's a different matter.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Personally I prefer boilers with the round burners and that's just my personal opinion. I think they're better from a maintenance point, the burner, fan, and gas valve can be removed in one to allow easy maintenance. Along with the fact different boiler manufactures have good and bad points on designs and along with their support engineers. I personally at the minute prefer to fit Vaillants.

I have no experience with Intergas as they are very few and far between in our area so can't comment on their reliability or good and negative points - all I know the rep was trying to sell me some once and even he was getting confused with their own offerings. Along with the fact their flues are off centre, so aren't always suitable for certain jobs. Least their pipes are in the right place unlike Alpha...but that's a different matter.
    They do an offset flue kit to bring it to the center. The new model coming has a naturally centered flue.

The burner and fan also come off in one lump. No need for gaskets every time either .

Whereabouts are you?
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)