• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBoy
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2017

Faking a Evo zone without Evo kit

As mentioned in a previous post, I'm maxed out at 12 zones perfectly with the exception of my hallways and utility room which are left on their existing TRVs. So obviously they come on when ANY zone demands ANY amount of heat. This is not necessarily always too inefficient because a)they have TRVs b)often you'd want the hall not to be baltic when using other rooms.

But at night time we really only want the bedroom to be warm. And during the working day, only my office needs to be warm - we set everything else to 12C during these periods. I would therefore like more limited control over my communal radiators e.g. they are open evenings and weekends and shut the rest of the time.
    All I seem to need are remote control TRVs so I can toggle this... they can open if they want heat and hope another (Evo) room has turned the boiler on.

Any recommendation for kit to let me do this? I have maybe 4 such radiators. I see there are bluetooth and other generic smart TRVs, any recommendations? If they can be linked into Google Home or IFTTT it would be awesome as then I can probably (later) chain them with my Evo system with a simple project which sits atop Evo and other controllers using the Evo API, etc. Similarly if I convert my cellar(s) I can do something similar with underfloor heating or whatever.

So - anything good in terms of generic smart TRVs that don't need binding to a hub or a dedicated RF controller?
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

What about a couple of HR90's for your hallway and utility room ?

They look similar to the HR92 but they are completely standalone. They won't communicate with Evohome, but you can program a schedule into them. So you could program them to be off at night to ensure those two rooms don't heat while only your bedroom is on, and on during the day at a suitable temperature - but they will only heat up if other zones are calling for heat and not if the system is off. But that may be just what you need for a hallway and utility room.

Comment

• MrBoy
      Automated Home Guru
      • May 2017

Huh, I never heard of those - thanks. I'm sure they'd work but it's the minimum I can cope with since to change a schedule I still have to go round all the heads - it's like one step up from a regular TRV whereas I'd ideally like some of the connected functionality because they are not especially accessible.

I'll add them to my list of options

Comment

• StephenC
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2017

Useful info actually @DBMandrake as I'm up against the 12 zone limit.

The HR90 instruction PDF (US version so temps in F) is located here for anyone wishing to take a look:

Our software, products and services help turn buildings into integrated, proactive and profitable assets.

HR90-c1.jpg
        Last edited by StephenC; 2 February 2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• dty
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Aug 2016

That's very interesting! How have I not heard of those before? I have a few rads (toilet, hall, cupboard (don't ask!)) which currently have manual TRVs for which these would be ideal - especially since they can have schedules built in too.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
            That's very interesting! How have I not heard of those before? I have a few rads (toilet, hall, cupboard (don't ask!)) which currently have manual TRVs for which these would be ideal - especially since they can have schedules built in too.
            The main problem with manual TRV's on some radiators (I know because I ran like this for a long time as I gradually built out the system with HR92's!) is not being able to schedule bedrooms on at night without downstairs radiators passively coming on as well, which is very wasteful.

So a radiator valve that has its own schedule solves this problem even if it is not as flexible, or remotely controllable as a full HR92. Probably only useful if you've hit the 12 zone limit though.

I wonder if the HR90 is on sale in the UK and is available in a celcius version though ? Can't say that I've seen it for sale in the UK.

Edit: Ouch, £76, but at least it does celcius, and has an M30x1.5 fitting:

It has the upside down screen orientation of the EU version of the HR92 so maybe there is no UK specific version with the screen the "right" way up ?
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 2 February 2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• dty
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
              The main problem with manual TRV's on some radiators (I know because I ran like this for a long time as I gradually built out the system with HR92's!) is not being able to schedule bedrooms on at night without downstairs radiators passively coming on as well, which is very wasteful.
              Precisely why I want it.

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
              So a radiator valve that has its own schedule solves this problem even if it is not as flexible, or remotely controllable as a full HR92. Probably only useful if you've hit the 12 zone limit though.
              Not only have I hit it, I'd benefit from an extra 4 zones or so!

There was talk some while back of a firmware update effectively including this functionality - having a zone where you install HR92s, but their heat demand doesn't fire the boiler. I wonder when that's coming?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
                There was talk some while back of a firmware update effectively including this functionality - having a zone where you install HR92s, but their heat demand doesn't fire the boiler. I wonder when that's coming?
                That was what we hoped and assumed we'd get, but instead we got the "electric heat" zone type added, which works like the old "zone valve" zone type but without causing a boiler demand.

It doesn't sound like an option to ignore the heat demand of an HR92 zone is coming or ever will.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Jun 2012

Peglar do a version of these called iTemp IIRC.
                  Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

I'm not tried, but can you select an electric zone type and then bind an HR92 to it?

P.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Jun 2012

Pretty sure you can't.
                      Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• dty
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
                        Peglar do a version of these called iTemp IIRC.
                        Brilliant. I just ordered 4 x Pegler i-temp i30 valves on a buy 3 get 1 free deal for £18 each!

Thanks Dan!

Comment

• dty
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Aug 2016

Well, they’ve arrived. They’re pretty big - considerably bigger than the HR92s. But they seem pretty well built and have lots of good features and scheduling flexibility. I’m impressed so far, and if it saves me heating my cupboard and downstairs loo overnight, then I’m happy! :-)

Comment

• a62vw
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Mar 2012

No, you can't bind an HR92 to the new 'electric' zone type.
                            I work for Resideo. However, any views expressed are mine and not those my employer.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by a62vw View Post
                              No, you can't bind an HR92 to the new 'electric' zone type.
                              Shame - that's a missed opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                              X