X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wobbin
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2017

I seem to recall a problem with NTP a few years back where Windows XP based clients would ignore the NTP server because they were too far away from its 'correct' time. I guess they thought that the time they were being given was implausible?

Wish we could just point it to our own choice, my pfSense box would handle this nicely. Oh well...

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Wobbin View Post
      I seem to recall a problem with NTP a few years back where Windows XP based clients would ignore the NTP server because they were too far away from its 'correct' time. I guess they thought that the time they were being given was implausible?
      Actually it's part of typical ntp implementations that clients won't (without being forced/overridden) accept a time update that is more than 1000 seconds out from the time it currently believes the time to be. This is to prevent a rogue NTP server doing something stupid like setting your date/time days/weeks/months/years into the past/future.

If your time is genuinely wrong by more than that amount, you can have a problem. This is the case on a device like a Raspberry Pi where there is no real time clock so every time you turn it on it defaults to January 1st 1970. Because of this ntp on devices without real time clocks is configured to ignore large errors on the initial ntp sync during boot to allow the time to jump by 48 years to the correct time.... But once it is up and running it will not accept any implausible time jumps.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 16 February 2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X