Thread: Different bypass rad according to time of day (zone with T87RF only)

Automated Home Guru

Default Different bypass rad according to time of day (zone with T87RF only)

Can you set up a zone that only has a T87RF and no HR92?

Has anyone got experience with this? Will it (as I hope) still cause the controller to call for heat via the BDR91?

The reason why I want to do this is to set a bypass radiator according to the time of day.

Zone 1: Main room of house - Control unit as thermometer - 2 rads, 1 with HR92, one with a timed TRV
    Zone 2: Bed room (with external walls that gets cold very easily) - T87RF as thermometer - 1 rad with a timed TRV

Using a timed (programmable) TRV, I can set a radiator to bypass mode (i.e. T=28C on TRV) or closed (T=5C). During the day/evening, I would have the Zone 1 rad open (acting as a bypass rad), during evening/nighttime I would open Zone 2.

If I can't set up Zone 2 as above, I will have a HR92 that is not connected to any radiator.

Anyway, before I 'break' my existing setup I thought I'd check with anyone who had any experience to share...

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zxdavb View Post
    Can you set up a zone that only has a T87RF and no HR92?

Has anyone got experience with this? Will it (as I hope) still cause the controller to call for heat via the BDR91?

The reason why I want to do this is to set a bypass radiator according to the time of day.

Zone 1: Main room of house - Control unit as thermometer - 2 rads, 1 with HR92, one with a timed TRV
    Zone 2: Bed room (with external walls that gets cold very easily) - T87RF as thermometer - 1 rad with a timed TRV

Using a timed (programmable) TRV, I can set a radiator to bypass mode (i.e. T=28C on TRV) or closed (T=5C). During the day/evening, I would have the Zone 1 rad open (acting as a bypass rad), during evening/nighttime I would open Zone 2.

If I can't set up Zone 2 as above, I will have a HR92 that is not connected to any radiator.

Anyway, before I 'break' my existing setup I thought I'd check with anyone who had any experience to share...
    If I understand you Correctly I have Done this by setting up a Zone as a Zone Valve and then Bind a Spare BDR to it as Zone Valve Actuator and T87RF as Stat and just dont wire a valve to BDR just use it as a Dummy Zone but you can then Schedule that Zone and Boiler BDR will Switch on Boiler