• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radar2016
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2016

update 02.00.17.00 and 02.00.17.03 can it be reversed

I am freezing this morning no heating the Evohome ignored the schedule.

After changing to the original WiFi controller I had no problems with the first software other than a few niggles with Alexa nothing to do with EvoHome which worked without hitch.
    I was one of the people that elected for the beta version which as I can recall worked as expected but since the general release, problem after problem,
    today for instance the controller totally ignored the schedule change and left heating off.

There have been instances when one zone was ignored and left a zone cold other instances when zones are saying zero and radiators are at full blast, on one occasion at 4 o'clock in the morning and other random times.

I want a SET and FORGET system

I have decided today to fit new batteries on all radiators, redo the charging of batteries on the controller as Richards instructions and possibly a FACTORY RESET then I will just have to pull my hair out and scream.

I suppose there is no way of reversing back to the original WIFI software?

As an after thought we are having a problem with the house wifi from our Provider, it keeps dropping out, sometimes for an hour, but does this have any influence on the general running of the Evohome system which runs entirely on RF .
  • dty
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Aug 2016

As you say, Evohome works entirely on a proprietary non-Wifi protocol, so problems with your Wifi won't affect your day-to-day running of Evohome. Obviously, they'll have an impact on your ability to control the system via your phone, Alexa, etc. (By the way, don't say RF. That means radio frequency, and can be used to refer to any radio-based protocol, including Wifi).

Have you called Honeywell support to see what they have to say? They have monitoring information that the controller sends back to their servers which may prove useful. You may have uncovered a bug which can get fixed for everyone!

Comment

• dty
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Aug 2016

Actually, it seems like a whole load of people had clock problems this morning which meant their schedules weren't running. See the several other threads that are at the top of the list today. Could you have the same problem?

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Originally posted by radar2016 View Post

I want a SET and FORGET system
        Sadly, I am not sure that Set and Forget is possible with wireless controls. I am not a great user of the App after I came home from holiday to find the controller was in a frozen state. I was aware that it had happened within minutes of me making the change. Fortunately, it was summer and my remote action was nothing more than turning the HW schedule back on.

Comment

• radar2016
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2016

That could explain todays problem but it do'es seem to be more unstable now.
          What do you say if it is not RF?

Comment

• dty
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Aug 2016

What do you say if it is not RF?
            Well, it is RF, of course. But to say "runs entirely on RF" could well mean it's Wifi!

Comment

• philchillbill
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2017

As an after thought we are having a problem with the house wifi from our Provider, it keeps dropping out, sometimes for an hour, but does this have any influence on the general running of the Evohome system which runs entirely on RF .
              WiFi problems can mean that your Evotouch controller will not be in sync with any changes made through the cloud API while your house WiFi is down. If your phone reverts to 4G while your WiFi is out and you make a change in the TCC app, those changes will not reach your Evotouch at that time. Not sure if Honeywell timestamps changes to know that in syncing up when your WiFi is back, the changes in the app were the recent ones and should be copied to the Evotouch, rather than having the old data in the Evotouch go and undo the changes in the cloud.

Comment

• radar2016
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2016

[QUOTE=dty;36693]As you say, Evohome works entirely on a proprietary non-Wifi protocol, so problems with your Wifi won't affect your day-to-day running of Evohome. Obviously, they'll have an impact on your ability to control the system via your phone, Alexa, etc.

Lets see if I have this right. While I am trying to get my provider to sort out the broadband, could I disconnect the wifi from the controller and work the EVOHOME entirely in house, following the schedule preset?

I realise that Iphone App, Alexa and instructions and monitoring by Honeywell will not work, but as the problem this morning was affecting more than me( I was not aware of that when I posted this morning) this was a wifi problem and if the wifi was not connected I assume the clock would have kept the right time.
                I am having issues with zones not recieving the right insructions, for instance the green light on the BDR91 when the controller indicates that no zone is calling for heat
                I have replaced all the units with new batteries and recharged the controller so we shall see if that helps

Comment

• dty
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Aug 2016

Yes. Evohome does not require any kind of network/internet connection to work. You can program it entirely from the controller screen and it will run just fine. It may keep even less accurate time than it does with an internet connection though!

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

[QUOTE=radar2016;36717]
                    Originally posted by dty View Post
                    As you say, Evohome works entirely on a proprietary non-Wifi protocol, so problems with your Wifi won't affect your day-to-day running of Evohome. Obviously, they'll have an impact on your ability to control the system via your phone, Alexa, etc.

Lets see if I have this right. While I am trying to get my provider to sort out the broadband, could I disconnect the wifi from the controller and work the EVOHOME entirely in house, following the schedule preset?

I realise that Iphone App, Alexa and instructions and monitoring by Honeywell will not work, but as the problem this morning was affecting more than me( I was not aware of that when I posted this morning) this was a wifi problem and if the wifi was not connected I assume the clock would have kept the right time.
                    I am having issues with zones not recieving the right insructions, for instance the green light on the BDR91 when the controller indicates that no zone is calling for heat
                    I have replaced all the units with new batteries and recharged the controller so we shall see if that helps
                    I would stop obsessing over the Wifi connection - it's not going to be related to any of your problems.

If the heat demand for the boiler control relay is dropping to 0% in the diagnostic screen and the green light on your BDR91 stays on for any length of time that suggests that there are RF comms problems between the devices. I would start looking for possible causes of interference on 868Mhz.

What is the distance between controller and BDR91 and how many walls does the signal have to pass through to get there, of what type ? What do you get if you perform a signal check to the BDR91 ? Do you have any devices like an energy monitor or smart meter that may be using the same frequencies ?

Comment

• radar2016
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Mar 2016

[QUOTE=DBMandrake;36720]

I would stop obsessing over the Wifi connection - it's not going to be related to any of your problems.

If the heat demand for the boiler control relay is dropping to 0% in the diagnostic screen and the green light on your BDR91 stays on for any length of time that suggests that there are RF comms problems between the devices. I would start looking for possible causes of interference on 868Mhz.

What is the distance between controller and BDR91 and how many walls does the signal have to pass through to get there, of what type ? What do you get if you perform a signal check to the BDR91 ? Do you have any devices like an energy monitor or smart meter that may be using the same frequencies ?
                      Right I will dismiss the wifi
                      The controller and BDR91 are in the same room 12 feet apart, comm test successful
                      Echo Dot in same room and has been since release in Oct 2016 no previous effect
                      EON tv disconnect thing in same room 17 feet away and has been prior to getting EVOHOME first colour screen model, do not know frequency but no previous effect
                      Comms test on all units successful

Yesterday I reset all schedules and copied to all days, today one room schedule set for 20 degrees from 8 am to 16.30 had changed to 5 degrees on all days.

I am not using the ECHO DOT or iPhone app at the moment but they have both worked previously, although the Echo took a bit of sorting.

Something is changing the settings and I cannot get to the bottom of it, there were no serious problems before.

Comment

• philchillbill
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2017

Something is changing the settings and I cannot get to the bottom of it, there were no serious problems before.
                        Do you have a neighbour with a HGI80?

Comment

• radar2016
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
                          Do you have a neighbour with a HGI80?
                          I am pretty sure they do not,my 2 nearest neighbours are 70 metres, the next one 110 metres not sure if they have, but would that work at that distance.

Comment

• dty
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Aug 2016

I am pretty sure they do not,my 2 nearest neighbours are 70 metres, the next one 110 metres not sure if they have, but would that work at that distance.
                            Probably over open ground. But

a) I'm not sure you can actually change the schedule using the radio protocol (bruce_miranda and DanD might know more here)
                            b) They'd have to be acting maliciously and deliberately targeting radio messages at your controller.

Seems pretty unlikely.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

Remote manipulation of your heating using an HGI80 or equivalent is possible, but I think we have to apply Occam's Razor...

P.

Comment

Working...
                              X