X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robj20
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2017

What figures are you all posting, m3 per month, day Kwh per day?

I take my readings once a month.

126 m3 1417 kwh (average 47.2 kwh/day)

123 m3 1384 kwh (average 46.1 kwh/day)

44 m3 495 kwh (average 16.5 kwh/day)

31 m3 349 kwh (average 11.6 kwh/day)

17 m3 191 kwh (average 6.4 kwh/day)

Before that it was an older boiler.

That's for a 3 bed semi detached.
    Last edited by robj20; 9 February 2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

My optical spot reader is logging ever 15 minutes. It is one of the most informative pieces of kit that I have bought in recent years.

My usage for the first four weeks of January was 34 cubic metres; 35 cubic metres; 35 cubic metres and 25 cubic metres. As I said above, I just let the CH system do its own thing and I resist the temptation to fiddle. What I don't know is what beneficial effect Opentherm control is having?

Comment

• dty
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by rotor View Post
        Wow! Much bigger house?
        Hard to know! Mine's about 4,000 sqft with old aluminium window frames and some thermal bridging issues (for example, clay window sill tiles with no cavity closers beneath), and a poorly insulated basement.

There's definitely work to be done!

Comment

• dty
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by robj20 View Post
          What figures are you all posting, m3 per month, day Kwh per day?
          That's a good question! Mine were kWh for the first 8 days of February, which I think is what everyone else was posting too.

Comment

• nigethechap
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2018

This is where i am kinda struggling......
            I've just had a new heating system, new rads, new pipes & boiler - along with new windows.

It's a standard 3 bed 1960's semi-detached. but with the image i sent yesterday, i appear to have gone through 14m3 of gas, which i find pretty staggering.

Anyway, i'm now playing between letting the rooms cool and bringing them back up to temp when needed, as opposed to a decent temp all day long.....

Comment

• AH@AI
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2017

If I may suggest to make this thread more constructive, shall we mention the following factors that effect usage ) - I only had my Evohome installed March 2017, so I am quite new to this forum, I started to record usage using loop energy from November.. I will gather my data and post it later today.

1) the size of your house (ie. no of bedrooms, no of zones, overall size of the property (sqf))

2) property type (ie. timber frame, brick, stone)

3) property age or year of build

4) insulation done (ie. loft insulation and thickness of loft insulation, floored loft or not, cavity wall insulation, sub floor insulation,

5) window type (ie. single, double, triple glazed etc)

6) location of property (either town or region to understand the no of degree days)

7) built up area of rural location ( open to wind factor)

6) Boiler age, size and type ( combi, system, regular) and condensing or non condensing)

7) heating schedule

8) detailed gas usage (please feel free to be informative as possible)

9) cost of heating vs gas usage vs days/weeks/months

Kindly correct me and add to the list anything else you might think that I have missed. Thanks.

Comment

• alanharvey
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jan 2018

I will gladly join the party and provide the info in the format you have proposed. I too have the Loop Energy system. Do you have logging of it automated? If so I would welcome some help to get mine working.
                Thanks.

Comment

• AH@AI
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Dec 2017

Yes I have the loop system, but no i don’t have it automated. i am the same position as you are so any advice is welcome. I am also looking to find a HGI80 device as noted in other posts about logging info from Evohome.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

“ My boiler is around ten years old. Time for a new boiler? I could be saving £200-300 a year if I had your figures!“

I would be wary of believing putting a new boiler in will save you money. The life expectancy of many boilers is 8 to 10 years it seems, sometimes less. So that the savings in fuel cost will never be as much as the replacement cost. There are of course, many heating bods out there that will want to persuade you otherwise! They will tell you parts are no longer available. My boiler is 20 years old. Parts are still available. I have just bought a new fan that I’ll install as judging by the sound change of my existing one it is on the way out. My own service people always tell me to keep the current one as long as it works. I shall wait until I really have to change. It will then be an Intergas boiler.

As for temperature settings we are all different. My wife feels the cold more than I do. I have 11 zones, one is the conservatory which is set to 5C and is turned up when needed. This time of year I hear the boiler fire up in the night as the temperature in the conservatory has dropped below 5C. A spare bedroom I keep to 10C, other upstairs rooms to 16C during the day and 10c at night when all are asleep with a boost to such rooms that need it when getting up or going to bed. I have toyed with making all downstairs 20C all the time and boosting the living room when needed. There is a school of thought that this can be more economic.

I don’t use optimisation as it seems unnecessary for me and never given me any advantages. Just a waste of fuel.

However, stop playing! Work out what you prefer and leave Evohome alone. Once you resist playing with it and forget it, it gets on doing its job exceptionally well.
                    Last edited by G4RHL; 10 February 2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• alanharvey
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Jan 2018

@ AH@AI

I'm sure you are aware there is another thread on here with python code (that I can't get working) to grab the LoopEnergy readings and put them into Domoticz. I have posted there asking for help. There is also an interesting thread on development of an 'HGI80 equivalent'. Google shows places in the Netherlands that apparently can supply HGI80s. We seem to be on the same page.

Comment

• HenGus
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                        “ My boiler is around ten years old. Time for a new boiler? I could be saving £200-300 a year if I had your figures!“

I would be wary of believing putting a new boiler in will save you money.

However, stop playing! Work out what you prefer and leave Evohome alone. Once you resist playing with it and forget it, it gets on doing its job exceptionally well.
                        Agree 100%.

I am not sure that comparing usage is a particularly meaningful exercise. My experience of Evohome over nearly 4 years is that it will not save you much money. Indeed, my usage with Evohome in 2016 was 15% higher than it had been in 2015. That said, Evohome will improve the levels of comfort in the zones that are used frequently: this is the main advantage of a zoned system. Playing around with the App - just because there is one - will lead to inefficiencies caused by Honeywell's fuzzy logic which can be explained in simple terms: get the property up to temperature ASAP and then keep it there.

My usage savings over the past 9 months are a result of buying a new boiler, and then letting it run in as an efficient way as possible. These savings will not cover the cost of a new boiler.

If people are really keen to play the 'my usage is smaller than your usage' games, then a key usage factor is the number of people living in a property; their ages, and whether they are at home all day. Remember, a single little person turning up the temperature in his/her room whilst doing their homework will cause the boiler to go to max flow temperature. Lots of people doing the same will have a large impact on usage.

Comment

• AH@AI
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Dec 2017

I think as newbies we are trying to understand and tell ourselves that our Evohome choice is justified. I was unaware of this forum when I got the Evohome professionally installed (I would have done it myself to save the heating engineer cost otherwise) at a cost of £2240. ( that includes 18 zones ( so 2 WiFi controllers) plus 22 HR92’s.

I live in a 5 bed house with a garage conversion which has been converted to have 4 zones (maybe it’s overkill): but the garage has been updated to current building regulations in Scotland. The 5 bed house I would say is modern timber frame built circa 2003. My boiler is the original one put in back in 2003 it’s a Alpha SY9-24 Boiler. I will post more information later in the day .

Comment

• AH@AI
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Dec 2017

That’s a good suggestion maybe we can add the usage patterns of the rooms or post whether the house is occupied during the day or not or only a few zones working throughout the day( which I think the weekly schedules will give anyway). My intentions behind the post is not to compare how big or small my usage is vs another member on this forum but to get an understanding of whether my usage of energy is the same or comparable with other users who might have the same use case scenario as myself. Like I said I am a beginner on this journey and I value opinions of the more experienced member staff of this forum. Thanks

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by AH@AI View Post
                              I think as newbies we are trying to understand and tell ourselves that our Evohome choice is justified.
                              It isn't, if cost is your only criterion. The savings quoted for heating controls on many websites are over-stated and based on a test house at Salford University which had no heating controls. Anyone buying Evohome; Tado, Wiser etc to replace existing heating controls (ie; programmer/thermostat and TRVs) will not realise significant usage savings. For example, I updated my controller nearly two years ago. The savings with a new boiler haven't (forget about Evohome) and, will not, cover the cost of a new controller. There are also replacement battery costs to consider. I could go on.

Clearly, if you already live in a well insulated home with modest usage figures, then the cost savings associated with Evohome are going to be negligible.

I treat Evohome a bit like a new Apple iPhone. It is an expensive luxury but it is nice to have it.

Will I buy it again? Probably not, because as my wife and I approach our 70s the amount of fiddling about with HR92s; re-setting the controller etc is not a legacy that I would like to leave my wife with. She is happy that Evohome works but she has no interest in, or knowledge of, how it works.

Comment

• AH@AI
                                Automated Home Lurker
                                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by alanharvey View Post
                                @ AH@AI

I'm sure you are aware there is another thread on here with python code (that I can't get working) to grab the LoopEnergy readings and put them into Domoticz. I have posted there asking for help. There is also an interesting thread on development of an 'HGI80 equivalent'. Google shows places in the Netherlands that apparently can supply HGI80s. We seem to be on the same page.
                                We are definitely on the same page. I had some issues with my loop gas device during the recent bad weather so I lost some data in January. But it’s back up and running now. My daily usage of gas and electric averages around £6.20-.50

I will have a look at the other thread as you have suggested.

Comment

Working...
                                X