Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: evohome - What shedule do you use ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Jr Member

Default evohome - What shedule do you use ?

Hi All

This is my first week of eveohome, so just trying to get my head around things.
    What temp do you have in the rooms when you aren't in the house ?
    Do you heat all rooms (even none used spare rooms) for a small period each day ?

I have my lounge on at 06:30 -> 08:20 @ 17 degrees, then off down to 14, 12:00 -> :13:00 @ 16 degrees, then down to 14degrees, then from 18:00 - 22:00 @ 16degrees.
    Does this look excessive in any way ?

Many thanks

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nigethechap View Post
    Hi All

This is my first week of eveohome, so just trying to get my head around things.
    What temp do you have in the rooms when you aren't in the house ?
    Do you heat all rooms (even none used spare rooms) for a small period each day ?

I have my lounge on at 06:30 -> 08:20 @ 17 degrees, then off down to 14, 12:00 -> :13:00 @ 16 degrees, then down to 14degrees, then from 18:00 - 22:00 @ 16degrees.
    Does this look excessive in any way ?

Many thanks
    So the Warmest you have your Lounge is 17c I have mine at 21c I would find 17c very cool

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mylesm View Post
    So the Warmest you have your Lounge is 17c I have mine at 21c I would find 17c very cool
    We have a wood burning stove in the lounge. I'm just worried i'm over using the heating.
    What do you guys think to this schedule ?

IMG_0451.jpg

Automated Home Guru

[QUOTE=nigethechap;36712]We have a wood burning stove in the lounge. I'm just worried i'm over using the heating.
    What do you guys think to this schedule ?

Oh well that's totally different I replied that 17c was cool as you made no mention of supplementary heating in Lounge

Automated Home Guru

My comments:

Before Evohome I used to have heating on twice a day, but Evohome saves so much gas I now have it on continuous from 07:00 to 22:00 so leave it on all day unless you are out to work.

You must have a very cold house indeed! I have my downstairs temperature set to 21 degrees all day.

I put master bedroom down to 5 degrees after 10:00 and heat it to 17 degrees at 19:00.

I have a wood stove in my living room that heats it to 23 degrees when it is going. but the room is set to 21 degrees for day times and increase it to 22 degrees at 17:00. If the wood stove is going the radiators are off anyway.

Unused bedrooms are set to 5 degrees.

I couldn't live work in a house set to 14 degrees during the day - Evohome is allows you to have a comfortable temperature while keeping a reasonable gas bill.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgare View Post
    My comments:

Before Evohome I used to have heating on twice a day, but Evohome saves so much gas I now have it on continuous from 07:00 to 22:00 so leave it on all day unless you are out to work.

You must have a very cold house indeed! I have my downstairs temperature set to 21 degrees all day.

I put master bedroom down to 5 degrees after 10:00 and heat it to 17 degrees at 19:00.

I have a wood stove in my living room that heats it to 23 degrees when it is going. but the room is set to 21 degrees for day times and increase it to 22 degrees at 17:00. If the wood stove is going the radiators are off anyway.

Unused bedrooms are set to 5 degrees.

I couldn't live work in a house set to 14 degrees during the day - Evohome is allows you to have a comfortable temperature while keeping a reasonable gas bill.
    Can you advise roughly how much gas you use with that setting, on a say a weekly basis ? As i say, just trying to find the balance between warmth / cost.
    I've just started a tracking spreadsheet which i'll use for the next few weeks, whilst i get a feel for costs etc....

Automated Home Lurker

If I may suggest to make this thread more constructive, shall we mention the following factors that effect usage ) - I only had my Evohome installed March 2017, so I am quite new to this forum, I started to record usage using loop energy from November.. I will gather my data and post it later today.

1) the size of your house (ie. no of bedrooms, no of zones, overall size of the property (sqf))

2) property type (ie. timber frame, brick, stone)

3) property age or year of build

4) insulation done (ie. loft insulation and thickness of loft insulation, floored loft or not, cavity wall insulation, sub floor insulation,

5) window type (ie. single, double, triple glazed etc)

6) location of property (either town or region to understand the no of degree days)

7) built up area of rural location ( open to wind factor)

6) Boiler age, size and type ( combi, system, regular) and condensing or non condensing)

7) heating schedule

8) detailed gas usage (please feel free to be informative as possible)

9) cost of heating vs gas usage vs days/weeks/months

Kindly correct me and add to the list anything else you might think that I have missed. Thanks.

Automated Home Lurker

I will gladly join the party and provide the info in the format you have proposed. I too have the Loop Energy system. Do you have logging of it automated? If so I would welcome some help to get mine working.
    Thanks.

Automated Home Lurker

Yes I have the loop system, but no i donít have it automated. i am the same position as you are so any advice is welcome. I am also looking to find a HGI80 device as noted in other posts about logging info from Evohome.

Automated Home Legend

“ My boiler is around ten years old. Time for a new boiler? I could be saving £200-300 a year if I had your figures!“

I would be wary of believing putting a new boiler in will save you money. The life expectancy of many boilers is 8 to 10 years it seems, sometimes less. So that the savings in fuel cost will never be as much as the replacement cost. There are of course, many heating bods out there that will want to persuade you otherwise! They will tell you parts are no longer available. My boiler is 20 years old. Parts are still available. I have just bought a new fan that I’ll install as judging by the sound change of my existing one it is on the way out. My own service people always tell me to keep the current one as long as it works. I shall wait until I really have to change. It will then be an Intergas boiler.

As for temperature settings we are all different. My wife feels the cold more than I do. I have 11 zones, one is the conservatory which is set to 5C and is turned up when needed. This time of year I hear the boiler fire up in the night as the temperature in the conservatory has dropped below 5C. A spare bedroom I keep to 10C, other upstairs rooms to 16C during the day and 10c at night when all are asleep with a boost to such rooms that need it when getting up or going to bed. I have toyed with making all downstairs 20C all the time and boosting the living room when needed. There is a school of thought that this can be more economic.

I don’t use optimisation as it seems unnecessary for me and never given me any advantages. Just a waste of fuel.

However, stop playing! Work out what you prefer and leave Evohome alone. Once you resist playing with it and forget it, it gets on doing its job exceptionally well.
    Last edited by G4RHL; 10th February 2018 at 11:39 AM.