Thread: Cortex Controller Setup

Default Cortex Controller Setup

I've just bought a new controller for the first time in 10 years. I considered a Beelink box but the convenience of having battery backup and screen all in one with a laptop resulted in me getting another laptop, a Lenovo Yoga 310. First impressions are very positive and I hope to be able to mount it on a wall to act as a noticeboard, photo frame, as well as controlling the home.
    I've been looking at how to turn off W10 updates ... lots of different suggestions & some saying that it is not possible since the Fall Creators update. Anyone recommend a solution?
    Any other top tips for getting the most out W10 as a controller? I have changed the sleep power down options and what happens when the lid is closed.
    Thanks
    Jon

As far as I'm aware disabling the update service should work though there are also other related services (e.g. in Task Scheduler) which could also be disabled.

Anyhow, through familiarity I personally still like to navigate some parameter settings via the legacy control panel interface. You can still find this in Windows 10: C:\Windows\System32\control.exe and just create a desktop shortcut to it. From Control panel you can go to Administrative Tools and double click on services in the right hand window list. In the Services list find Windows Update and right click on this then select Properties. From there you can stop the service and also ensure that you select Disabled for Startup Type.

The other thing to watch out for is to remove any requirement for a manual user login. This will otherwise halt the PC, waiting for human input, during an automatic startup situation. To do this you use Run Netplwiz from Start menu and this gets you to a menu where you can uncheck the need for users to enter a password to use the computer.

Thanks Karam, I've done that and seet the main network connection to metered which some sites say also reduces annoying updates. I am now working through the installed apps and other services to see which ones I can uninstall / disable to reduce the bloat and retain a stable system.For seamless login I've it up so from boot it starts with no password prompt and then starts Cortex. Thereafter if the screen locks a password is required.
    Thanks
    Jon

I've had my 2in1 laptop/tablet running cortex W10 for a few days now and have now switched off my old controller for a well earned rest. I'm a little disappointed about the amount of resource Windows 10 takes and there are some process hogs among them for example an Intel PTT process which seems to be a thing on Lenovo laptops. I am tempted to do a refresh to get a clean windows build but I am not sure if that will affect the flip screen.
    Logging in with teamviewer and controlling the machine in tablet mode works fine which is really handy as the machine is currently in the utility cupboard and not easy to access.
    I've still got a few niggles to iron out but I'll post separately about them so the thread has a clear title.
    Jon